Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 12-09-2007
neophyte

casper666 is on a distinguished road
Default Wonky monitor output

Hey everyone,

I got a Dell computer from Wal-Mart on October 13. I had a weird problem where I'd hear the processor stop making that sound and then a few seconds later, this would happen:

Well, I talked to Dell and they wanted me to update the driver. We booted up in Safe Mode with Networking and the problem happened again, so the woman at the call centre suggested that the video card was defective.

I took the computer back to Wal-Mart 2 days after my purchase and they gladly exchanged it.

Now, in the last few days, the problem has started happening again. I have a hard time believing that its a defective video card again.

I have to reboot the computer from holding the power button down and then I'm usually fine again for a little time.

I haven't noticed if it happens when I do something in particular... It just seems to happen randomly.

The computer came with Vista Home Premium, and I really love Vista, I just don't want to lose data or have to put up with this.

Here are my details:
Dell Dimension E521
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphic GPU
320GB Sata HD
1GB Ram

It doesn't have the extra video card, I have a dual core processor (so I guess the AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 dual-core).

I have put in a D-Link DWA-552 and a 4-port USB card from Zellers that I had in my old computer.

I greatly appreciate all of the help!!!

Last edited by casper666; 12-09-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 12-10-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

I don't really know what the problem is, but have you tried running the monitor at a different refresh speed?
If the machine is still under guarantee, keep at them for a replacement!
Old 12-10-2007
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

My experience with monitors on the wrong refresh rate don't show any picture at all.
Is it possible there is a device nearby causing interference?
Also, sounds dumb, but make sure everything is plugged in properly.

I've never dealt with integrated graphic processors as I'm a gamer and integrated graphics just don't cut it and I don't think Vista likes it much either.
Try going to your 'Personalise' settings and changing your 'Theme' to windows classic.
Old 12-12-2007
neophyte

demiller66 is on a distinguished road
Default It's your network adapter

The dlink dwa-552 is known to cause all sorts of problems in vista. The drivers aren't any good. Take it out. Try another network card and see if your problem goes away. Typical problems with this card are the BSOD and system crash or freeze.