Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 01-21-2008
neophyte

mkvards is on a distinguished road
Default Vista will not write to a Network Drive - Only Reads

I am having problems with writing only (Reading is all OK) to a USB Hard drive that is connected through a Storage Router.

I have no problem seeing the drive on the Router, I have no problem reading the files on the drive, I can create directories, I can delete directories, I can delete files and I can run programs from the drive.

The only problem I have is that it will not let me write anything to the drive.

I tried connecting a 1gb thumb drive to the other USB socket and it is exactly the same, I can read but not write.

If I connect the drive directly to my PC then all read and write functions work properly.

System

I am currently running Vista Home Premium. I am using a Dlink ADSL Modem and the DI624S Storage Router. A Western Digital 500mb USB hard drive is connected to one of the USB sockets on the back of the router. File and Printer sharing is turned on. Normally 3 computers are connected to the network, 2 by cable and 1 wirelessly.

Both my PC (Connected via Cable) and my wife's Laptop (Connected wirelessly) have the exact same problem. My kids PC which is running XP does not have this problem, they can both read and write.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.