Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 02-01-2011
neophyte

loinclothsailor is on a distinguished road
Question Compatability Problems

i use a music program called "skyshare". the program is from mp3skyline, which is the website. so i have had previous versions of this program and updated the program as new versions were available. so i recently upgraded to the latest version and now windows vista is having "compatability problems". i don't understand how or why because i have had this program before. i thought it was my firewalls, so i shut the all of them off and the browser to "skyshare" would play any songs or downloads. if anyone has any clues please help.

Old 02-12-2011
neophyte

Shawn is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Keeping Your System Current
Updating an operating system when you install new drivers, add new hardware or software, or encounter setup or security bugs can be a major problem for the user and the OS vendor. For the user, it often means sorting through a bewildering list of patches to figure out which one you need, and then determining what other patches to apply (and in what order) before you can apply the original one. The OS vendor has the problem of supporting this less-than-friendly process. Not only does it need to deliver the right patches to the people who need them, but it also needs to integrate them into the OS installation media and documentation. Windows XP includes two new features that make this process essentially painless for the user and for those who support the user—Dynamic Update and Automatic Updates. Dynamic Update occurs during setup, and the Automatic Update feature works to get updates into the system after it's up and running.

Dynamic Update is a new feature built into Windows XP Setup that automatically checks for new drivers, compatibility updates, and security fixes while Windows XP is being installed. All that's required is that you have a working connection to the Internet. During installation you can choose to have Dynamic Update check for updates: then it automatically downloads any device or application updates and uses these replacement files instead of the files on the installation CD, ensuring that you've got the latest updates available.
By updating your installation files on the fly, Windows XP can quickly integrate new, certified device drivers, critical security fixes, and compatibility updates, which ensures that the system you install doesn't immediately need to be patched and that your brand new video card is recognized and supported just as soon as there are certified drivers available for it. Dynamic Update is an important step in making computers more reliable and easier to use.

While Dynamic Update works during the initial installation of Windows XP, the Automatic Update feature works after installation to ensure that critical security and compatibility updates are made available for installation automatically—without significantly impacting your regular Internet use.
Automatic Updates work in the background when you are connected to the Internet to identify when new updates are available and download them to your computer. The download is managed so that it doesn't impact your Web surfing, and will pick up where it left off if the download is interrupted. When you install Windows XP, you'll be prompted to set up Automatic Updates (see the notification settings in Figure 1), and you can choose your options:

Automatically download the updates and then be prompted to install them. This is the default, and recommended for most users.

Notify you before downloading, and then notify again after they're downloaded before installing. This option makes sense for users who travel and want to control when they perform the download.

Disable AutoUpdate.

When the download has completed, you'll be notified that it's available and be prompted to install the update. You can install it then, get more details about what's included in the update, or let Windows XP remind you about it later. Some installations may require you to reboot, but some will not. Click the Details button to see what's in the update, and if a reboot is required. Even if a reboot is required for the update to be activated, you'll control when the reboot happens, as shown in Figure 2.

The real beauty of AutoUpdate is that it's painless. You don't have to do anything until the update is downloaded to your computer and available, and the actual installation is almost equally painless.

Finally, a word on Windows Update, the online update system that is included with Windows XP. When you add new hardware in Windows XP and Plug and Play can't find a driver locally, it searches Windows Update for a driver if you're connected to the Internet. If you're not connected, it even prompts you to connect. It also searches for updates for your computer's operating system and software. Be sure to install any Critical Updates: they're designed to protect your computer from known security problems. Here's how Windows Update works:
When you enter Windows Update, click Scan for updates.
Browse through the available updates in each category, and click Add to select the update of your choice. You can also read a full description of each item by clicking the Read more link.
When you have selected all the updates you want, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now.
Note: Some updates may require that you restart your computer. Save your work and close any open programs before beginning the installation process.