Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » General Vista Discussion

Old 09-24-2011
neophyte

caloomba is on a distinguished road
Default Drive partitions - resizing

Hi

I am posting this on behalf of a family member who uses their computer for their small business. They use Vista on their laptop, I am still using XP on my netbook so wanted to get some help from some people experienced in using Vista.

My sister complained that she was running out of space on her laptop's HD.

I went to help her out, thinking it was strange she had used all the space on her laptop HD. I helped her buy it, made sure she got a reasonable capacity drive (150Gb).

I checked the drive and it turns out that the drive is partitioned into two. From memory, it's partitioned into two 75Gb sections.

The partition(called Vista) where she's been saving all her docs, pics etc is crammed full with next to space left on it.

And there's another partition called Data that has lots of space left.

Is it possible to shrink the size of the data partition to allow more space in the Vista partition.

I tried to do this, it allowed me to shrink the size of the Data partition. However, I then had three partitions: vista; data and an unassigned partition. I wanted to 'merge' the vista partition and the unassigned partition (essentially extending the vista partition) but it wouldn't let me do it.

Is this possible? If so, can some point me in the right direction of a tutorial to do it?

Or, if it is not possible, what are my options?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2012
myesq

Hello caloomba the simple why of doing this is take back up of drive vista format it and re install vista in full partition.