Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Installation Forum

Old 12-06-2008
neophyte

phxpoet is on a distinguished road
Default Vista Setup Cannot Find HDD

I got all the final parts for my new computer today. Put together all the hardware relatively easily. Went into the BIOS to set it to load from my optical drive first, then I popped in the Vista disc and rebooted so the OS setup started.

Everything was fine up until it asked me to specify where to install Vista and it told me it couldn't find any hard drives, even though I have a WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. The HDD is also recognized by my BIOS.

Basically it's telling me I need the drivers for my HDD, but I bought it OEM so there was no disc that came with the HDD itself. So it said I had to create something like a mass storage location for the OS.

First thing I tried was disconnecting and reconnecting the SATA data and power cables, which didn't work.

I Googled around and read something uploading the SATA drivers from my motherboard installation disc, which I have. So during Vista setup I popped that in, browsed the drive contents and found the folder with the SATA drivers. After all that, it still told me that no drivers could be found.

Next I tried going to the Western Digital site and downloading the Data Lifeguard Tools. I installed those onto a folder, put the folder on a USB drive, then started the OS installation over again. Essentially I tried with the USB drive what I tried with the motherboard installation disc. Found the right folder but again it says no drivers were found.

Next, I downloaded all the appropriate drivers I could find from the manufacturers' Web sites and put them on the USB drive as well. They aren't listed under those compatible with the hardware unless I changed the OnChip SATA Type in the Integrated Peripheral Settings in my BIOS from IDE to AHCI. Using the AHCI setting also allows me to see the HDD in my BIOS, but it isn't listed as an AHCI device during the little AHCI Device Detection Screen.

When I set the OnChip SATA Type to IDE, there's no AHCI Device Detection Screen and the HDD shows up in my BIOS, but when I enter Vista setup, it won't show the drivers off the USB drive unless I click off the option to ignore drivers that aren't compatible with the hardware.

There's a couple things I haven't tired yet: 1) While keeping the boot disk priority to Optical Drive first, put in my motherboard installation disc rather than the Visa installation disc (this is just something I pulled out of my [censored] so really not sure it'll work). 2) Use the downloadable tools off of Western Digitial's site to set up the HDD on another computer: essentially, create and format a bootable partition using a system that already has an OS.

Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2009
neophyte

vnvnvn2000 is on a distinguished road

Is you HDD connected to SATA port #1 on your MOBO?
Apparently the new HDD does not yet have a active partition installed.

I got a problem like this. Basically it's telling me I need the drivers for my HDD, but I bought

First thing I tried was disconnecting and reconnecting the SATA data
> and power cables, which didn't work.
Next I tried going to the Western Digital site and downloading the Data
> Lifeguard Tools. I installed those onto a folder, put the folder on a
> USB drive, then started the OS installation over again. Essentially I
> tried with the USB drive what I tried with the motherboard installation
> disc. Found the right folder but again it says no drivers were found.
Old 03-18-2009
neophyte

l_turn9 is on a distinguished road
Default HD Not Found

I have the same problem with my new Toshiba. Am so frustrated with Vista I bought a new 500GB SATA intending to pop that in and use my XP CD to install XP.

Just like you, the CD loaded all the prelim stuff and then it said it could not detect any hard drives.

The Toshiba website tells me it needs the driver. And it can ONLY be loaded by used a floppy (!) no CD, no "other" devices (I assume they mean flash drives and such) naturally most laptops don't have floppies anymore. But they suggest the ext floppy they sell would work fine. Naturally. Anyway, with the driver on the floppy you go thru startup, hit F6 when it starts loading all the OS stuff (before XP) and then it will ask for the location of the driver. You tell it Floppy Drive X and supposedly away you go.

I haven't tried it because I dont have a ext floppy.

So that's where we are - the computer manfacturers are no help and MS is of no help. Leaving us all alone with their expensive crap.

I managed to format my new HD - the laptop recognized it for the format process - but I haven't tried to install it in the HD bay yet. Soon ---

If you want to read the procedure (for Toshiba which seems to be the same for all) - go to the Toshiba website and select "Ask Iris" under support. Search for "Cannot detect" and it should bring up the article. I tried to copy/paste but it wouldn't allow me. How friggin practical is THAT? copy/paste is one of the most productive puter tools we have and they make it so it won't work!!!!

Yup, I'm PO'd.
Larry
Old 03-20-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Vista can load drivers from any media, anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. For installing Vista from the disk, when it comes to the 'install drivers' part, change the Vista disk for the one that came with the motherboard, or a CD\DVD you have copied the files to, browse to their location and Vista will install the drivers.
Old 03-23-2009
neophyte

jeffbhaskell is on a distinguished road
Default Had same bad luck

Tried all the same proceedures as everyone else to no avail. Installed the mobo disc and got the same results. after several tries I was given a error code stating I cound not partition my disc while preparing system volume-----error code 0x08004245F. Stumped and beyond frustrated. Could sure use an answer. Please let me know what I need to do to solve this issue.
Old 03-23-2009
Agent - Level 3

You say you installed the mobo disk ? how without any OS.
The way to install Vista in a nutshell is, first check the vista compatibilty list to see if your SATA drive has Vista support or you need to make a disk with SATA \IDE drivers on.
Next in the BIOS check you have SATA drives enabled.
Put the Vista install disk into the optical drive and boot to it, choose language and to install vista now.
If no drives show up in the 'select drive' screen, put your driver disk in the drive after removing the Vista disk, hit the 'install drivers' button, wait for drive to show up (as unallocated), swap optical disks again so Vista is in DVD drive, select to install on drive, Vista will partition and format and carry on with the set up.

Do you have a problem being able to follow that sequence somehow ? if you do and can explain I will be able to get you around it.
Old 04-13-2009
neophyte

oldgrandpainmi is on a distinguished road
Default SATA Fix for vista/xp

I was having the same problem tonight! I found out that you have to add the drivers of you SATA drive to your XP installation disk before xp will install!

Found a website that put me on to a freeware program called nLite that will copy your xp and insert the drivers you have properly, and create an .iso file, that you will have to reburn onto cd or dvd.

It does work, but I must have done something wrong durring install, as I could only boot to XP afterward. (see my thread above)

I hope it was only me. If it was, then nLite does work great!

OGPIM
Old 04-23-2009
neophyte

TheFixer is on a distinguished road
Smile New HDD

i think these new big hard drives, need to be initilized before you can do anything with them. i had to put mine in a working system, and bring up admin tools, and go to disk management. you should see the new drive (slave) there, but with probably a red exclamation mark on it, if you mouse over it, and right click, you will get the initilize drive option. you could also format it here if you want to, but don't have to, as the vista install will do it durning the install. once initilized you should then be able to put it back into your vista machine, and install with no problems. hope this helps, as i had the same problem not with a vista install, but winxp install on another system. this is how i resolved the problem.
Old 04-24-2009
Agent - Level 3

You only need to do that if you add a RAW disk once the system is running, it is not required on a new drive to install the system, you only need load the third party drivers, if Vista doesn't support it. You also need to create at least one primary partition and format it (NTFS).
If you already have XP installed and want a clean install of Vista, after installing you will need a utility like Vista Boot Pro or BCDedit to add Vista to the boot files which will create a boot menu for when you start the machine.

Often it is better to install the oldest last, so Vista first then XP as Vista will automatically pick up XP's boot files and create the boot menu, without the need for other software.