Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Game Forum

Old 07-02-2009
neophyte

samsonyu96 is on a distinguished road
Default I used to be able to run games but not now

I used to be able to run games such as Runes of Magic, GuildWars and Sudden Attack. I cannot even run Priston Tale. However, one day, when I launched Runes of Magic, there was a black screen. The cursor would change and I can hear the background music. When I launch the two other games, the same thing happens. I cannot even run PristonTale, which has rather low system requirements. I downloaded Maplestory to try and see whether it would work and it worked. Thanks in advance for any help. My DxDiag information is attached.

Attached Files
File Type: zip DxDiag.zip (7.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by samsonyu96; 07-02-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

It is hard to tell what the issue is, but it is most likely not Vista`s fault. I have had a wee look around and the the best info I could find was here. It is most likely a driver issue, but I would follow the advice on the page and try changing the bit depth from 32 or 24 bit to 16 bit desktop and see if you can get game grapics. In fact cut back all the gubbins from the desktop (ie: turn off aero and transparency (right click desktop ==> personalise ==> change appearence)). Then try the game.

The latest drivers should show up under windows updates (hardware) here are the release notes for the intel 965 chipset. I would definately make sure you have the latest drivers from here (select your OS).

Last edited by luckypunq; 07-02-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2009
neophyte

samsonyu96 is on a distinguished road
Post Thanks it worked but I cannot stop Task Scheduler permanently

I followed Intel's instructions and it said that I should close Task Scheduler. After closing it, I launched the games and it worked. However, after a while, the process for Task Scheduler comes back and the screens of the games will become black again. I tried Microsoft instructions on how to close Task Scheduler but it did not work because there was no "Advanced" tab (unlike what Microsoft said "On the Advanced menu, click Stop Using Task Scheduler"). Oh ya my graphics driver is the latest one. How do I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Microsoft instructions on how to close Task Scheduler: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...65(WS.10).aspx
Old 07-03-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

I have had a solid look around the web for the answer. It appears that NO you cannot disable Task scheduler at all. The options for advanced do not appear for Vista, maybe they do in XP (I would recheck the source of that information).
Old 07-20-2009
Level 1 Member

David Michael is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have had a solid look around the web for the answer. It appears that NO you cannot disable Task scheduler at all. The options for advanced do not appear for Vista, maybe they do in XP (I would recheck the source of that information).
yeah!its different feature thats why I'm still using xp.