Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 09-15-2008
neophyte

ROBBYMARTIN is on a distinguished road
Default How do I fix "DCOM Server Process Launcher Terminated Unexpectedly"?

My Toshiba laptop just started giving me the error message: "DCOM Server Process Launcher Terminated Unexpectedly" and "Plug and Play service Terminated Unexpectedly" upon startup and then it reboots without letting me into Windows. There is no opportunity to run any anti-virus, rootkit, malware, adware or Hijack software to help resolve the issue. Can someone help?

Old 09-16-2008
neophyte

brrraddd is on a distinguished road
Default Solution

I JUST had this same problem on my Toshiba Satellite. I fixed it by downloading malware bytes from download.com. I have Sophos, but it didn't detect any of the viruses...

Link: http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...dlPid=10878968

Download this program (its free). Install it. Update it. Run a FULL scan of your computer (took about 30 minutes and the viruses didn't pop up until the very end of the scan). Delete ALL of them (note: you have to reboot to delete the ones in windows system 32) There will be a list of about 5-10 infections they should be similar to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\T cpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\T cpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssadw.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssl.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssserf.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssmain.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssinit.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdsslog.dll (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssservers.dat (Trojan.Agent)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tdssserv.sys (Trojan.Agent)

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008
neophyte

brrraddd is on a distinguished road

I listed all of the files just in case you couldn't use the malware detector so that you could have a clue as to where yours might be located so that if all else fails you can delete them manually. Be careful deleting files manually though, or you will end up with a problem greater than the virus.

The symptoms of mine is that I would turn my computer on. I would get the whole dcom system error BS and it would reboot with in a minute. If it didn't do that and I plugged my printer into the usb port of my laptop, the screen would black out and I would have to perform a hard shutdown. It also made web browsing a B*tch! It would take about 30 seconds to load a web page and when it finished about 70% of the web page display was missing....

I have been free of this virus and everything has been back to normal for 12 hours now. The malbyte program really worked, so give it a shot.
Old 10-15-2008
neophyte

shadd is on a distinguished road

hey brrraddd how did you keep your computer from rebooting long enough to run the scan? I am having the same problem but I cannot stay logged in more than a minute even in safe mode and selecting 'Disable Reboot on System Failure' on bootup.
Old 10-21-2008
neophyte

Smoothdruid is on a distinguished road
Default How to stay logged on long enough!

Hey Shadd,
I am having the same problem as you are, but i am still working on it. i will start doing what brrraddd suggested and see how it goes.
however i am here to help ya out on how to terminate the timed shutdown on your computer.

Simply turn on your computer. Wait for that rebooting message to appear. and go to:
Start --> Run

If you can't find it quick enought.

Pressing the "Windows button" + R simultainusly will do the trick.
a little window will pop. type in
"shutdown -a"
without the quoats. and press Enter or click ok.
hope that helped ya
Old 10-21-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Ideally you need a bootable CD that can run anti vi and spybot from a console command, without the OS being loaded.
If you get a copy of Ultimate_Boot_CD_Basic you can burn it to a disk, boot to it and run all sorts of tools, F-prot anti virus\malware scanner is one of the tools and that should clear up the worst of the nasties.
To finally to remove all of them I suggest SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy The defacto standard for removal of and immunization against all known malware\trojans and just about everything you don't want on your PC. Download, update, immunize then run scanner and 'fix' all the problems it finds.........be prepared for a shock regarding the number of undesirables you are harbouring.
Old 10-21-2008
neophyte

Smoothdruid is on a distinguished road
Default It appears that the problem is fixed!!!!!!

It appears that the problem is fixed,

I did download the program advised above.

I stopped the shutdown timer with "Shutdown -a". Downloaded the program. ran it, scanned the computer. the computer seem to be pretty stable now.. atleast the counter isn't appearing anymore.

so ty brrraddd for your help. and good luck to you shadd.
Old 01-27-2009
neophyte

shuttlevista is on a distinguished road
Default that didn't work

so that didn't work.
Ran the full scan. NO infections
can't find the 5-10 files in the windows folder
what do I do now?
Old 01-26-2010
neophyte

Bekkkkah is on a distinguished road

I had this same problem..

Downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Scan has been going for 1hr 30mins
scanned 180,000 files so far
found 186 infected objects.

and I even have an antivirus!!
Old 02-03-2010
neophyte

richardinoz is on a distinguished road
Default fix for dcom server process launcher.

I have had the same issues and finally think i have fixed it. I cant say if this will work for everyone but i think its a good shot.And its easy.

Step 1. Remove core components of H8SRT trojan (Rootkit.TDSS)

Download TDSSKiller from here.
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloa...tdsskiller.zip
and unzip to your desktop.

Open TDSSKiller folder.

Double click the TDSSKiller icon and follow the prompts.

you will then be asked to restart. after restart run anti virus software.

Hope this helps.