Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 10-28-2008
neophyte

wigglethromp is on a distinguished road
Default Hdmi

I have just hooked up my machine to my screen via HDMI and am experiencing a number of problems, the most notable being sound disappearing each time I reboot.

Basically stereo sound is being delivered to my Samsung 32" LCD via the HDMI. It works fine first time around but when I reboot there is no more sound.

Upon normal operation, if I go into Control Panel>Sounds there is a playback device called NVIDIA HDMI Output. It was even there when I was using normal speakers and VGA to connect to my monitor.

All well and good.

However, when I reboot, there is no sound coming from the screen any more and, this device has disappeared from devices in Control Panel>Sound.

The only way to get it back is to go into Device Manager>Sound Video And Game Controllers and disable NVIDIA HDMI Audio, then re-enable it.

Then the sound comes back.

Ok so it is fixable but, having to do this after each time I reboot is a pain.

I am running Vista 32bit Home Premium with all the relevant updates and all my drivers are up to date.

Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

This sounds (no pun intended) like a driver problem, the driver should reset itself depending on the hardware detected, which currently only happens on rebooting, whilst this is not a complete solution, have you tried going to device manager and 'scan for changes' ? this should have the same effect as rebooting only without having to.
Finally though the proper solution has to be a newer driver, have you checked Nvidia for any, and also their FAQ section for any other help, if all else fails I wouldn't fall short of contacting Nvidia directly, they are usually very helpfull with tech. problems.