Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 01-24-2009
neophyte

hawk22 is on a distinguished road

Yes that is exactly what I am doing, booting from the Floppy means starting the PC with the Floppy in the drive and your BIOS set to "First Boot device Floppy.
When I say I boot in Vista I meant booting with the PC that has the Vista OS installed and not XP.
I am surprised to hear you say "These days, it is much better to do a BIOS flash from within Windows but you are adamant you want to boot from the floppy".
You are the first Person to say so to me, as I mentioned even in the Help of @BIOS Menu on the Gigabyte website they recommend to use the Floppy method.
Old 01-24-2009
Member - Class 1

BurrWalnut is on a distinguished road

My dear chap.

I’ll repeat it again. When you boot from a floppy to do a BIOS update, you do not load Vista at all. Indeed you can do a BIOS update without a hard disk being installed. You are obviously not creating a proper boot floppy with the BIOS file on it.

Using a floppy to run BIOS updates was the only way to do it until fairly recently. Then, this new, simple method came along. Perhaps the others are Luddites, I’m not.

Last edited by BurrWalnut; 01-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2009
neophyte

I can see I am wasting my time and yours here, as you are not prepared to answer the question that I originally asked you, the answer that you gave to the creator of the Thread fishmaster0
Quote: I run old DOS programs, circa 1986 in a full screen.
I have created a separate command prompt and in Properties > Options Tab I have ticked full screen.
My question to you was: How did you do this.
I thought I had made it quite clear that I have no problem booting to the Floppy that is what Dr DOS installed on the Floppy does, The American Megatrends BIOS Utility will only open on full screen and if the PC in question has as its Operating system Vista installed it will not open to a full screen. In contrast to a PC that has XP installed it will open to a full screen and the one can continue to run the BIOS update.
I have tested the Floppy on a XP machine and there is nothing wrong with the Boot Floppy.
Thank you for your time.
Regards
Old 01-25-2009
Member - Class 1

It wonít help you to get irate with me.

1. Go here and download a Win98 or WinXP boot floppy disk http://www.bootdisk.com/
2. After creating the boot floppy, copy your BIOS file(s) to it.
3. Boot from the floppy.
4. At the A: prompt, type the name of the BIOS program.
5. Donít switch off or interrupt the flashing.
6. Post back here telling us of your success (assuming the flashing does what youíre expecting it to).
Old 01-25-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

I don't have the slightest notion where 'full screen' comes into it. Using anything other than MS DOS is likely to produce unpredictable results.

However to the problem in hand, never mind what it says in the help files, you only need save the BIOS .BIN file to the root of drive C: for the Gigabyte Q Flash utility to find it, download it to there, forget the floppy and which device you boot to, hit the designated key(s) to enter Q Flash and follow the instructions to perform the update, when done, reboot, press F2 during POST to enter BIOS defaults, reboot, carry on using your 'puter. It really is that easy I habe used that method hundreds of times and also the old floppy method. viz. It's easy, you don't need DR.Dos or download anything, in either Vista or XP, load a blank unformatted disk into the A: drive, choose format, in the dialogue box near the bottom there is the option to 'create a DOS boot disk' this is what you tick, the floppy is formatted and the needed 3 files copied to make it bootable, copy the flash uitilty and the .bin file.
Boot to A:\ at the prompt type the name of the flash utility lets say it's AWDFLASH.exe the number of the rom.BIN and press enter, first off, 'do you want to save the current BIOS ROM, yes you do,call it what you like.BIN and press save, then which ROMfile to flash, there is only 2 to choose from, the new one and the one you just saved, after you select that it will ask 'sure to flash' again yes and it will proceed, takes about a minute, when confirmed it's done, remove floppy, reboot, press F2 for defaults to load, reboot, go play.

It really is that difficult, if you want ti make it really hard run the @BIOS util. select the one you wnt from those available, press yes to confirm, watch the progress for about 3 mins and then quit when it tells you, follow the reboot\F2\reboot malarky from the last 2, go play.

I hope you followed this, I have been flashing ROM BIOS chips for donkeys years and can assure you all these methods are very suitable and safe, and as far as I know, full screen doesn't enter into it and doesn't matter if it is full, half or just the bottom bit.

Oh yes don't forget you can't really mess things up to the extent the machine wont boot because Gigabyte, bless 'em, gives you a spare backup to boot to automatically if things do happen to go pear shaped.

Last edited by cyclic; 01-25-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2009
neophyte

Well thank you, I have now done it and it worked without any hick-up. I used the MS-DOS created with Vista on a Floppy with the included American-Megatrend Utility in the BIOS File. I did not have to enter any command as it did not stop at the A: prompt it booted straight into the Utility.
The reason I wanted to update was my installed BIOS version F1 was according to the Gigabyte CPU compatibility not right, it recommended F3 but I went the whole hog and installed F5, the latest.
Regards
hawk22
Old 01-27-2009
Member - Class 1

Default Flashing the BIOS

Iím glad you have sorted it out, well done!