Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 03-11-2009
neophyte

wigglethromp is on a distinguished road
Default Vista and HDMI

Hi There,

I have two Acer Aspire XS3200 machines running Vista Home Premium.

I have them both connected to a Plasma and LCD (each individual one) using HDMI.

Every time I reboot each machine, there is no sound delivered via HDMI.

When I go to Control Panel/Sounds, I notice that the "NVIDIA HDMI Output" is either deselected and defaulted to "Realtek Digital Output" or has disappeared alltogether.

I can resolve this by going into Device Manager/Sound, video and game controllers, disabling "NVIDIA HDMI Output" then re-enabling it.

I have checked for latest drivers and am told I am running them. I have disabled "Realtek Digital Output" all to no avail.

It seems that each time the machines are started it seems to forget to send the sound via HDMI.

This is rather frustrating as one of the machines is used as an HTPC.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-11-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Yes unfortunately you are very far from being alone with this problem, in fact it seems to be almost ubiquitous. By far the most reliable way of avoiding this issue appears to be arranging a separate sound link (optical by choice if poss.) or the most immediate but frustrating cure is to turn the reciever off and back on again.

I don't have any HDMI as yet (enabled devices sure) but I read so many people having firmware problems and like yours, I really have to wonder if it's truly ready for the masses yet?

If this doesn't help much try a google for 'sound via hdmi' which will give you a plethera of similar problems.
Old 03-11-2009
neophyte

wigglethromp is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately turning the TV off then back on made absolutely no difference whatsoever

HDMI has been out long enough I would have hoped issues like this would have been resolved by now
Old 03-12-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

You would think so wouldn't you ? but from the abundance of similar problems to yours and worse, that you can find on every Forum\Tech pages concerned with sound and vision, the problems seem a long way off being fixed.
I am still looking for any clues, if I find anything of interest I will let you know by mail or PM.