Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 12-30-2007
neophyte

dcrea is on a distinguished road
Default Background clicking sound plays every few seconds

Funny thing, I am hearing an audio clicking sound playing form my speakers every 11 or 12 seconds. This happens whether or not I am working, say browsing the internet, or just sitting idle with no applications running and not touching the mouse. Itís a constant background click sound that is being played every 11 or 12 seconds regardless.

I have just installed vista 64 bit on a new system build. I donít have any other applications installed yet nor have I configured vista in anyway. Itís basically an out of the box install plus the drivers that came with the mobo / video card. I have not run vista update either.

Has anyone come across this issue? Is this yet another annoying feature of vista?

Old 12-31-2007
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

No, I have not come across this problem. No, it is not a "feature" of Vista, I don't think they're that stupid.

What programs are running when this happen? Something must be causing it. Scheduled task? Webpage refreshing?
Old 12-31-2007
Agent - Level 1

davehc is on a distinguished road

Sounds more like it is an external device, nothing to do with your compouter. Do you have any timers or electric clocks close by, or a mobile phone?
Old 12-31-2007
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehc View Post
Sounds more like it is an external device, nothing to do with your compouter. Do you have any timers or electric clocks close by, or a mobile phone?

If it had nothing to do with his computer, the noise would not be coming from his computer's speakers.
I know the "click" that he speaks of.

He really should spend some time to configure Vista to his preferences, including IE, scheduled tasks, and other programs first and see if the "click" persists.
Old 12-31-2007
Agent - Level 1

davehc is on a distinguished road

Audio cable, which is not normally screened, can certainly pick up interference from nearby electronic "gadgetry"
As you "know " the click, how did you eliminate it?

Last edited by davehc; 12-31-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

Thats correct. I have a burglar device on an adjacent building, within 15 mtrs of my computer. It had a leaking cable, which Produced a low but irritating hum on my speakers, until I replaced it.
Old 12-31-2007
neophyte

dcrea is on a distinguished road

With some more digging I have determined that the clicking sound that is being played every 11 seconds (I timed it with a stopwatch) is that of the start navigation wav file associated with IE as the start navigation event. If I set the start navigation event for IE to none then the sound stops.

So now that I know what that sound is the question I now have is why is it playing every 11 seconds? This plays whether I am using IE or not. So again, whether or not I am using the system or just sitting idle with no applications running, not touching the system, the start navigation wav plays every 11 seconds.

It now seems likely that there is some program running that is polling a page or otherwise doing something that is recognized as a start navigation event to cause this sound to play. Since the only thing that is installed on this box is vista and drivers the question becomes what program is doing this? I canít imagine itís a driver so I am thinking its something with vista. The system is clean, no spyware, etc., and the task list only shows system programs running. Anybody have a guess?