Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 03-03-2009
neophyte

longlifexs is on a distinguished road
Default Problems connecting laptop with TV

Hello,

since I bought my new laptop, I wanted to connect it with my analog Panasonic TV, which is about 5 years old.

The laptop - unluckily - only has HDMI and VGA output (GeForce 9600M GT video card), while the TV has S-Video, SCART and RCA (composite) input. So I got a VGA->RCA adaptor on eBay and tried connecting the two. I got some video on the TV, but it was flashing heavily all the time (probably due to bad refresh rate) and the screen appeared in several copies next to each other, all weirdly narrowed (probably due to bad resolution).

I looked everywhere trying to find a tool that would allow me to change the refresh rate and resolution for the VGA output, but with no success. I am unable to set the device connected to the VGA port as TV in nvidia control panel. I managed to get some nvidia drivers that seemed to include a tool capable of changing the refresh rate and resolution, but it didn't work.

Does someone have an idea that could help me? Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-04-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Once connected you have to go to the graphics card control panel and select the type of display you want, laptop + tv or TV with laptop (the difference being which one is the primary display, also you must select if you want one to be a clone of the other, or configured on it's own.
For your purposes I would suggest using clone mode and laptop + tv, that way you wont need to reconfigure the TV's resolution etc;

All this depends on your graphics card, happily Geforce (Nvidia) cards are far better at automatically detecting TV's and configuring them for you than any, 'other' chip makers software.
Old 03-04-2009
neophyte

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that TV is not listed as an option, the only thing I could choose is laptop + analog display. I believe that is caused by me using a VGA output, not S-Video or something similar. So far I haven't been able to find a way to force the nvidia SW to handle the VGA output as an output to a TV.
Old 03-05-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

I've not come across a VGA output other than a std. analogue monitor output, if this is what you are using I think you are doomed to fail. Then again I don't recall a laptop without an S-Vid output as well as the VGA, not that I am doubting what you say it just seems unsual, basically the only option you have is to connect to a. n. other monitor.
I will ponder on this for you and see if I can dig any solution out of some of the other Tech. sites I visit, I'll let you know one way or the other.
Old 03-06-2009
neophyte

I'm using an MSI GX620 laptop. The port options are really stupid, but VGA is really the only thing I have, apart from HDMI. But as my TV only has RCA, I thought that getting a VGA->RCA adaptor would help as they are both analog. Still the only thing that seems to be not working are the refresh rate/resolution settings, I'm pretty optimistic that once I manage to set them correctly, so that the laptop would send the signal to the TV in a way it would accept, it would work. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you might find!