Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Malware Forum

Old 03-10-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road
Default Any Vista Spyware Experiences?

Webroot’s Threat Research team is claiming that Windows Vista's Defender failed to block/remove 84% of a testing sample that included 15 of the most common existing spyware and malware infections. I can understand why Webroot would want to promote any exploitation of Vista.

For members running Vista, Have you seen any malware or spyware hit your system? Do you think Vista will put companies like Webroot or Symantec out of business?

Old 03-21-2007
neophyte

cayman is on a distinguished road
Default defender..not..

Im currently using spybot and a app called spyware terminator now.i also read some bad reviews on the defender,and didn`t wanna take a chance.And both the spybot,and st found a keylogger who didn`t turned up in the defender..
Old 04-17-2007
neophyte

pukerat is on a distinguished road

i checked in my first infected Vista computer yesterday.

It had Malware Wiped installed (a variant of spy axe, spy sherrif), spyware that's known for tricking people into buying their software which is just another inlet on your computer for more spyware and trojans to

didnt have a chance to even get started on cleaning it up

as far as protection goes, it had Norton Internet Security running and probably Windows Defender.
Old 08-07-2007
neophyte

tnbcr is on a distinguished road

i have the worst spyware right now.........its funny because i just installed something made by webroot, and now my baby is fkd.....bank wasnt open today so i couldn't get my computer fixed.....have to wait until tomorow... o well
Old 08-13-2007
neophyte

TheCrone is on a distinguished road
Question

I just got rid of a Trojan. I also have a question about cleaning that I do regularly. I use CCleaner. With XP I usually had around 20 to 30 MB cleaned out daily. With Vista, at least 4 nights out of 7 CCleaner will clean out 600 to 800 MB. To me that is vast. What is going on?
I have just downloaded ZoneAlarm. I will be turning off the Vista firewall. I do not believe it is doing its job. It is a great disappointment.

The Crone
Old 09-09-2007
neophyte

TheCrone is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Solved I Think

The previous post was mine and I believe I solved it. The restore function is set to use only so much space, and when that is full it dumps the old restore points. Personally I think this is great. But I didn't know that in the beginning. I was doing a lot of install/downloads. Each install/uninstall creates a restore point. Vista, being Vista was hard at first to work with. So there was a lot of 'reinstall' going on. The large CCleaner files were I believe restore point dumps along with all the other throw aways you get from that activity. My CCleaner files are now normal unless I am doing a lot of down-loading/installing. The largest CCleaner file was 948 MB!
Hitting the 'Delete these files' button with almost a GB of 'trash' is scary!!
So I think it's solved.

I am liking Vista.

TheCrone
Old 09-23-2007
Member - Class 2

HappyAndyK is on a distinguished road

None. Just use NOD32, Windows Defender on Vista Ultimate. :-)