Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 01-06-2009
neophyte

keeling1985 is on a distinguished road
Default Vista crashed and now....

I get loads of errors....

Hi by the way I'm Lee. I've been using Vista for around 8 months and just when you think everything is fine with it, something goes wrong! Its been fine for around a month and a half but I was just playing Tomb raider legends and I got the blue screen of death. Windows loaded back up but once in it told me it couldnt load my user profile. I did a system restore and it took ages (got there in the end though!). My profile loaded this time but I kept getting errors loading up and it was to do with Nero, ET5 (Gigabyte overclocking tool) and HP printer software. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but they still come up with errors. I've just loaded up messenger, that gave me an error but still loaded. I havent got a clue on what to do? I dont fancy a reformat again...

Another thing, the system is so slow when shutting down. It takes around 5 minutes.

This is what the error messages say -
WINAVI CONVERTER: WinAVI.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windowszsystem32\ODBC32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I'm going to run chkdsk to see if that does anything for me

Thanks in adavnce for any feedback

Lee
Old 01-06-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

This file ODBC32.dll handles which database engines are used and how they are used, problems with this file, and believe me it is very much a Windows file, almost always indicate a corrupt file, happens easy and doesn't mean you PC is falling apart. There is a fix that almost always sorts this out. Open the 'run' line from the start menu (or a command window) and type sfc /scannow press enter then go have a coffee or something whilst all your system files, of which this is one, is checked against things called MD5 and CRC numbers, when a file is found to be corrupt in anyway it is replaced from the windows dllcache directory which contains images af all system files (as updated from time to time).
When the SFC is finished it will show the results of what it found, not specifically but like, 4 system files were replaced, or no errors were found.

More info on ODBC32.dll database driver on this page.

Last edited by cyclic; 01-06-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Not telling !
Old 01-06-2009
neophyte

keeling1985 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

thanks for the reply cyclic.

I couldnt get the command to run through 'run' so i did it through 'command prompt' instead. Its checked and it says 'windows resource protection found damaged files but was unable to repair them'. Sounds bad to me

I have a internet explorer problem too. I seem to have lost alot of options on the taskbar that goes across the top. Also my middle mouse button no longer opens new pages up into the tab. Instead it opens a whole new window. How do I change this so I get all my options back? (now fixed it came back on its own).

Thanks
Lee

Last edited by keeling1985; 01-06-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: FIXED I.EXPLORER
Old 01-07-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeling1985 View Post
Its checked and it says 'windows resource protection found damaged files but was unable to repair them'. Sounds bad to me
Lee
Unfortunately when you get that reply you have no options other than to reformat the partition and reinstall Vista. The probability is you have a serious mechanical defect with the hard drive, or one of the motherboard 'bridge' chips is electronically compromised, but before changing your trousers over that, the first important thing to do is this.
Download the hard drives utility from the makers site and run their drive verification tool, it may advise a thing called 'writing zeros' whixh the uneducated IT illiterates describe as a low level format, it is no such thing, it merely writes and then reads a zero to every memory space on the drive...........takes a while, but it has the ability to magnetically rectify and dodgy sectors and thereby resulting in a good drive again.
Then you can install from new with confidence.

You don't absolutely have to do this but I would want to verify the drive before I did a reinstall or you may well find yourself in the exact same position in a very short while.

Of course there is the chance that the drive is bust, the utility will tell you that and also if it's still under warranty, in that case you will be given an RMA code number (return materials acceptance), which you can input on their website with your other details and follow the instructions on how to get the drive replaced, obviously if it's out of warrantly then you will need to buy a new one.........but lets get it tested first to establish it's condition.

Sorry this has been a long read, I'm just trying to give you as much advice on how to get this fixed up, rather than just give a bit of info. and you have to keep asking what next ? But it goes without saying if you need clarification or any other input please feel free to post whenever.

.........................we'll get there, and faster than British rail too.
Old 01-07-2009
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
.........................we'll get there, and faster than British rail too.
If you think British rail is bad, you should see Sydney rail. Makes walking a viable option. LOL.