Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 08-29-2007
neophyte

erochelle77 is on a distinguished road
Default Network issue

I'm new, and I searched for a topic similar to my problem, but didn't find anything that seemed the same. Here it goes.

First off, I'm not a savvy with computers as probably everyone on here, so forgive my ignorance. I do, however, have a friend that fixes computers, so he will know what you are talking about.

Ok, the problem. For some reason, my computer is recognizing my home network twice, and is doubling it up, which makes it not work. It registers as a local connection, but is blocked between the router and the net.

We re-installed Vista, and it worked fine for a few minutes. Got the network set up, named it rochelle, all that jazz. A few minutes later, it briefly recognized the network a second time (same one, no other networks in my area), then my connection to "rochelle" is now "rochelle 2(rochelle)", and that's when my Internet is severed.

Anyone know what it is I am explaining? Anyone have any ideas? If you need anymore info, I'll try to get it for you.
Old 08-31-2007
Agent - Level 2

tcash11 is on a distinguished road
Question router or computer?

What type of router is it? Why type of computer, specifically what type of network card? If its a laptop than I would suggest you take it to another "hot spot" (coffee shop, friends house, etc...) and see if you can connect properly there...then you can determine if its a problem with your router or your computer.
Old 08-31-2007
neophyte

Router is a standard Linksys G. Comp is a Gateway MT6828. Wireless card is Integrated 802.11a/b/g Wireless Networking (FRU)? Made by Intel, I think.

I have had that idea to take it to somewhere else and see if it works, but I haven't had the time. My tech has had his on my network with no problems though.
Old 09-01-2007
neophyte

Ok, new development.

I was messing around in my network settings (figured if it doesn't work now, I can't break it). I found where it had the network listed twice. I merged them together. Now it registers that I'm online (sometimes it goes back to local only, but if I leave it alone for a bit, it goes back to internet)...but it won't bring anything up in a browser.