Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 07-19-2009
neophyte

Dusty2 is on a distinguished road
Default Usb drive issues

Please forgive if this subject has been covered before. This is my first post so I do not know what has been covered in the past. I consider myself to be a knowledgeable user with years of experience. I started out with the early versions of DOS back in the early 70's and moved up from there and have an A+ cert.

I have two large external USB drives formatted as NTFS drives on my computer. The issue I am fighting is that vista sets the folders as read only and I can't seem to get it to change them. I have signed on as admin gone to the parrent dir's and removed the read only for all dirs and subs and managed to change some directories but others just won't change. They either give me an error message that I need admin privileges or appear to do the change then the next time I access the dir it is back to read only. These are not system dir's or hidden just photo and file archives. Some of the dir's refuse to allow me to delete or move them. I have gone thru most of what I know and still have dir's on these drives that are marked as read only. Some are subs some are parents.

Anyone know the secret word??

Last edited by Dusty2; 07-19-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

Attach the drives.

Then open up a command prompt session using administrative rights (right click the command prompt icon and select from context menu "run as administrator").

then at the command line type

DISKPART

then

list volume

you can now see which disks and volumes you have attached. then type

select volume=(insert the volume you want fixed)

(eg select volume=3)

then

attributes volume clear readonly

You then repeat the process for the other disk, in the order above (except the diskpart command) to fix that drive.

See also my Youtube Video Tutorial on the subject

Last edited by luckypunq; 07-19-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2009
Level 1 Member

David Michael is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The issue I am fighting is that vista sets the folders as read only
I think its not the OS that set is as read only, users set all the set up on a pc.try to reformat your pc or computer.
Old 07-24-2009
neophyte

Dusty2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypunq View Post
Attach the drives.

Then open up a command prompt session using administrative rights (right click the command prompt icon and select from context menu "run as administrator").

then at the command line type

DISKPART

then

list volume

you can now see which disks and volumes you have attached. then type

select volume=(insert the volume you want fixed)

(eg select volume=3)

then

attributes volume clear readonly

You then repeat the process for the other disk, in the order above (except the diskpart command) to fix that drive.

See also my Youtube Video Tutorial on the subject
Well it sounded good and I did it sucessfully but when I go to the directories that are giving me problems they are still set as read only. I did the normal remove on that volume (in windows) and it runs normally without errors but when I go to another dir and come back it is still read only! ARGH!!!!!!