Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 11-02-2008
neophyte

parker7256 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation LINKSYS thrashed my system PLEASE HELP!

I was given an older dell inspirion system by a coworker which I was planning on setting up for my wife just for a web machine and maybe network storage. I went out and purchased a Linksys WUSB54GC USB net work adapter. While attempting to install, it would only go to 30% completion. I then jumped online with my vista laptop and went to the linksys website to download the latest XP driver hoping that this would fix the situation as I would download it, burn it to disc and then load it onto the older XP machine. Here is where the problems started. Immediately after the driver downloaded, it ran itself, this all happened while I was out of the room, when I came back, the Vista machine was rebooting, but unfortunately, this is as far as it got! There was a flash of blue screen and then it went into the Windows Error Recovery Screen:

Windows failed to start, a recent hardware or sofware change may be the cause

then it starts the startup repair which runs through but then states "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." and asks me if I want to send info to Microsoft. I looked at the detailed info it wants to send and it is as follows:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 03: 6
"" 04: 589833
"" 05: BadDriver
"" 06: BadDriver
"" 07: 0
"" 08: 1
"" 09: System Restore
"" 10: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I have attempted bothStartup Repair and System Restore with no results. I do not currently have the Vista Disk that came with the Laptop at my disposal right now as a friend has it and I would like to be able to save as much data as possible, so complete restore seems to be something I would like to avoid! I can get a dos prompt up and find where the original Linksys Driver was downloaded, but once it ran, I have no idea where to look for it. I am not very well versed in dos but know the dir command, so I was able to atleast locate it. c:\users\username\downloads\WUSB54GC_20051228_dr.e xe.part

is there anyone out there that can help me find out what is going on and can I fix it? I have so many family pics and videos on there that I hate to lose, I already lost all my backed up files because my Netgear Storage central went bad on me about 3-4 months ago and i lost 200GB worth of stuff.

i did go back and trade in the Linsys for a netgear and my XP machine is online and running fine at this point. Please some one help me!
Old 11-02-2008
Member - Class 1

BurrWalnut is on a distinguished road

Parker7256

By running System Restore you should be able to go back to a date before the rogue adapter was installed.

As you don’t have a Vista DVD, you can download and create a Recovery Disk (32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64) here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/ After downloading the image to your hard disk, create a CD in ISO format (a DVD is not necessary as the 32-bit version is 120MB and the 64-bit version is 148MB).

It works in the same way as the Vista DVD, i.e. boot from the disk, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and Vista will start to load the Windows files. Select your language, time, currency and keyboard then click ‘Repair’ in the bottom left corner. Within the repair option there are five choices: Startup Repair, System Restore, Backup Restore, Memory Test and Command Prompt.

Select System Restore from the menu.
Old 11-02-2008
neophyte

is there an easy way to create the iso? as my xp machine doesn't have magiciso on it.
Old 11-02-2008
Member - Class 1

Do you have Nero?

Alternatively, this is a good, free DVD/CD burner http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
Old 11-02-2008
neophyte

i will try this. I am currently downloading the torrent and I will see what happens, thanks for the help. I will keep you posted on if this works!
Old 11-02-2008
neophyte

it didn't seem to work. It comes up with the same system restore options i get when I start my laptop. unfortunately none of them seem to work, unless you want me to run the windows installation from the iso. but won't that erase all my personal data? Unfortunately there is only two restore points available and both of them are after the file was installed...any other ideas? I really appreciate your help!
Old 11-02-2008
Member - Class 1

The CD you created cannot install Vista, it just runs the 5 options I listed above. It should load files, ask questions, etc. as above.

If you are running from the CD and as system restore doesn’t work all I can suggest is you select the Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

I'll check back here tomorrow.

Good luck.