Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 07-05-2007
neophyte

Roxwuff is on a distinguished road
Default System Boot Failure

A few days ago my computer froze and I didn't think too much of it so I just restarted it from the tower. When It started up it said "system boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Now, I know you maybe thinking that's it simply just trying to boot from floppy/cd/USB instead of the hard drive. But that's not the case, because I entered the bios page to make sure that it's booting from the hard drive, and it is. When I put in the Vista system disk it will load from the disk and then show a install windows page. But I don't have to do or install anything, usualy If I just turn it off, leave for a while, come back and turn it on again. It will boot like it normaly might after an improper shut off (i.e. start windows in safemode, start windows in safemode with networking, start windows normaly, etc etc) If I try to boot in safe mode it will just freeze and the whole thing starts over again. If I start windows normaly it work for 10-15 min. before freezing again.

I think the "system boot failure" screen is just a side effect of the freezing/improper shutdown. I have no specific reason for thinking this, just a hunch. I think the root of the problem is when the system locks up, but I don't have any idea where to begin in fixing that.

Please help!

A few more things that might be helpful. In the short time that it does work, I was able to unistall the latest couple of programs that I had put on it. It's also a brand new computer, only a week or two old. And hasn't had much contact with the internet, and only what I would consider "Trusted sites" plus it has virus protection. When it tries to fix itself it can't detect any problems.

Any Ideas?
Old 07-05-2007
neophyte

Roxwuff is on a distinguished road

Update.

Now when Windows starts I get this message:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows Instilation Disk and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings and then click 'next'.
3. Click 'Repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administraitor or computer manufacture for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

When I insert disk and attempt restart, I get the same screen even though the instal disk is in! Now no matter what I do I get this screen.
I have previously tried the "repari your computer" mentioned in step three, that's what I meant when I said "When it tries to fix itself it can't detect any problems." in my previous post. It didn't do anything then, but I don't know if it would do anything now because I can't get to that screen anymore.