Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 11-06-2007
neophyte

Skythra is on a distinguished road
Default Video card inconsistancy

Here is a screenshot depicting what my vista is doing...

Check specifically, the display manager thinks its a 6600GT and my device manager a 7900GTX... Let me explain:

A while ago I installed vista with a 6600GT. Time passed on and i decided to upgrade. I added a 7900GTX removed the 6600GT and passed it to a friend. Im a chronic overclocker, and the first sign was i couldnt overclock. My utilities said "you must have this card display enabled to continue" i couldnt figure out what was going on. It wasn't until just tonight i realised my display manger thinks im running my 6600GT and my device manager thinks ive got a 7900GTX.

So what i did was this:
Uninstalled everything Nvidia. Ntune. Nforce drivers and most importantly my forceware drivers. Booted to safe mode. Ran my driver sweeper and driver cleaner tool. Came back and reinstalled using vista update. New driver, same problem. Repeat but with latest nvidia whql driver. Same problem (probably same driver anyway).

So now im at a shocked middle ground, i have no idea how to go any further, but i cant really go back unless i reinstall all of vista. That is a problem to me because it means i have to call up again probably and reactivate vista. Id rather not. Its a pain. I also dont want the chance to fragment my hdd or potentially reformat my one and only hdd.

But im stuck, so all help is welcome!

Old 11-06-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

Its dodgy, but you could try a search for anything in the registry which says 6600GT and delete it. Otherwise, from what I read, the bad news is a reinstall of Vista.
Old 11-06-2007
neophyte

Skythra is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply. going to do that now

Edit: Yeah no reference to 6600GT and many many many references to 6600 (being a number thats no surprise )

Last edited by Skythra; 11-06-2007 at 02:27 PM.