Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 02-05-2008
neophyte

waybrane is on a distinguished road
Default usb device unallocated

don't know why this is happening, but i guess thats why i'm here. i have a dell inspirion 2200 laptop and a 4.0 gigabank portable storage. when i plug this device in any usb port the system recognizes my device, but automaticly the system puts a icon in the system tray that i can safely remove the device. when i go into "my computer", there is no drive listed for a removable drive. i've read i could go to computer maintenance and low and behold the is a drive the that when i right click on properities, it tells me that it is the device that it is the one i'm looking for but its unallocated. don't really know what to do about this but it doesn't make sense. when i go to the site to get their drivers, all they have are win98 drivers. they are not loadable to xp or vista. so at a loss, was wondering if i was the only one, but i know am not, have been on the google search on the subject. lots of ideas but nothing concrete.

Old 02-06-2008
neophyte

very hard to fix this problem i take it, not finding much to rememdy this situation. i'm at the point where i will not use vista, and return to xp. don't seem to have seem to have this problem with xp. twelve views and no responses is not very comforting. i find it hard to believe that i am the only one that has had this problem.
Old 02-06-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

Just how old is this device? Is it possible that it's not vista compatible?
Seems to me these things are just too old. I wouldn't go blaming Vista.
Old 02-07-2008
neophyte

now that comment is plain scary, i know its not state of the art. but its not that old. i mean, we are talking a 1gb stick of memory. not thats the newest thing..................
Old 02-07-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

yeah i know. but welcome to the world of vista. I don't have any usb storage devices, so chances are I'm wrong.