Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 10-22-2008
neophyte

lao che is on a distinguished road
Default unusual connection problem?

Hi,

I have a problem which i have not been able to find a solution to elsewhere.
If i am using the internet for some time the connection seems to die for new applications whilst the existing connections continue to work fine. for example: I am listening to internet radio while playing an online game, surfing the web and using a torrent program, no problem. but then i try to, say, open a new browser window or sign into msn and i get an error message. the connections that were already open continue to work, no problem, i can still listen to the radio and what not.
if i try to open msn messenger when i have this problem it gives me a port error message, but the troubleshooter won't fix it.

there appears to be no reason for this. i thought maybe it was bitcomet interfering with ports, for example, but then it happened when i wasn't running bitcomet. i thought it was something to do with the wireless router but i tried with the fixed connection and the same problem occurred.

the only solution i have found is to restart. which is inconvenient, to say the least.
one other thing: there is no lag while the programs try to connect, the error screen pops up instantly.

hope that's enough info.

thanks
Old 10-23-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

What is your up\down values and what upload do you limit torrents to? it's entirely likely that as you are using connected programs\apps that the torrent is using all the excess up bandwidth which of course is more important in some respects than the down. The up line is responsible for establishing a connection and requesting\verifying packet delivery etc;
it is of no benefit to have say half your download bandwidth free if all the up band is tied up............if you follow me. Not exactly an empirical statement of broadband use.
Old 10-23-2008
Member - Class 1

BurrWalnut is on a distinguished road

I was the first person to reply to this post about 5 hours ago and someone has deleted it! I’d like to know who removed it and for what reason?

This is similar to what I originally said:
I don’t use MSN, radio or online games, so I know little about them but is it possible that you are ‘running too much’?
On all my computers I have increased the number of simultaneous downloads to 10 by changing 2 registry keys. Create a system restore point before making the registry changes.

Go to the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\InternetSettings
Look for two keys in the right pane, MaxConnectionsPerServer and MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server. If they exist, then right-click on each in turn and Modify the value to decimal 10 (hex a).

If the strings don't exist in the right pane they will need to be added manually. To add the two keys, right-click in the white space in the right pane, select New > DWORD Value, type the first name as the string name, press Enter and then repeat the procedure for the second one. Now modify the values to decimal 10 (hex a).

As the registry key is a CURRENT_USER one, the change needs to be done for each user of the computer.

Last edited by BurrWalnut; 10-23-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-24-2008
neophyte

hi, thanks for your replies ...
perhaps i didn't explain clearly - this isn't a problem of bandwith or anything like that, my example was extreme just to show that the connection is still active but the computer is telling me that i have no connection. like i say, there seems to be no reason at all for this, after my computer has been on for a while it just happens, maybe i have no apps using the internet, or maybe i'm running something (radio, for example) and i come back to the computer and open a new web page or try to connect to an online game and INSTANTLY, with no lag at all while it tries to connect, i get a 'no connection found' message. but the computer IS connected, i have a blue globe in the connection icon and the radio is playing. i try resetting the connection, resetting modem and router, switching to the wired connection, and anything else i can think of - closing all open apps and running msn connection wizard, and so on but nothing works except a restart.

thanks again ....
Old 10-26-2008
neophyte

....bump ......