Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 10-03-2010
neophyte

nickandyhead is on a distinguished road
Default Password recovery in only administrator account on my computer. Lost initial PW

My computer has a password on it that I didn't mean to have on there, and it's a new computer & now I can not get into it. The only admin password is lost. - How can I get my computer working again? I have no recovery disc, no password reset disc, and no way of logging onto the computer. I do have internet access and I know how to download stuff, and use an external drive.

1. I have already tried downloading a program from an Ubuntu Live CD, which turned out to not be compatible with Vista, apparently it only removes NT & 2000 passwords. I would not mind removing my whole user account, I just want the computer to work again.
2. I also tried making a password reset disc (with a flash drive) and it failed. I tried making it on my other Vista computer, and apparently it had to be made on the same copy of Windows. Makes sense.

I do not want to have to reinstall using the discs that came with the computer, but I will if I absolutely must. Please give me the scoop