Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows XP » XP Help Forum

Old 01-05-2007
Level 2 Member

sbauer is on a distinguished road
Default Any suggestions for recovering an NTFS format HDD.

I recently started up my machine and one of my drives appears to have a some bad sectors on it. It is messed up bad enough that windows cannot read the drive. However, using the demo version of GetDataBackforNTFS, I was able to look at the drive and 95% of the files are still there and are readable, but in order to copy the files off the bad HDD I have to purchase the full version. I am wondering if anybody knows of any freeware that could possibly do the same thing or any other suggestions.

Old 01-05-2007
Agent - Level 2

tcash11 is on a distinguished road
Default Knoppix

Did you try booting from a Knoppix CD and having it try to mount it...I find that to work sometimes when windows will not as far as mounting and recovering data from a harddrive.
Old 01-05-2007
Level 2 Member

Default Knoppix CD?

Not exactly sure what a Knoppix CD is. I am assuming a simple linux type OS designed to run from a CD. Also wondering where I might get a hold of one to try?
Old 01-06-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road
Default Linux Live Distros

Knoppix is a version of linux designed to run in ram. Download Knoppix [ http://www.knoppix.org/ ] and burn the iso [ I like XP Burner Pro ]. The network should be autodetect and configure then browse the harddrive and copy to a network share (SMB).
Old 01-06-2007
Member - Class 1

Cleitus is on a distinguished road
Default Recovering covering data from corrupt sectors

Another option would be to create a bootable hard drive diagnostic CD, such as the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Which is one of many utilities that can be found on The Ulimate Boot Disc at . Run the advanced test on the suspect drive and if it does not have massive hardware problems you should be given the option to repair. This is especially helpfull if the drive contains your opertating system; i assume that sbauer does not have this problem.

As for free data recovery software, good luck, most will only show the files that it has recovered and then you must pay to save them.

A Windows PE will give you more access to files, with no permissions and no OS problems to worry about.

CHKDSK /R /F [volume:], will find errors, check for and repair bad sectors but I would run the Hitachi one first.

CHKNTFS /C [volume:] is designed for NTFS partitions but I am not sure what the differences are.
Old 01-06-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

Where are you get Hitachi Drive Fitness Test?
Old 01-06-2007
Member - Class 1

Default Recovering Bad Sectors

Another option would be to create a bootable hard drive diagnostic CD, such as the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Which is one of many utilities that can be found on The Ulimate Boot Disc at . Run the advanced test on the suspect drive and if it does not have massive hardware problems you should be given the option to repair. This is especially helpfull if the drive contains your opertating system; I assume that sbauer does not have this problem.

As for free data recovery software, good luck, most will only show the files that it has recovered and then you must pay to save them.

A Windows PE will give you more access to files, with no permissions and no OS problems to worry about.

CHKDSK /R /F [volume:], will find errors, check for and repair bad sectors but I would run the Hitachi one first.

CHKNTFS /C [volume:] is designed for NTFS partitions but I am not sure what the differences are.
Old 01-06-2007
Level 2 Member

Default no luck with the knoppix

I tried the Knoppix disk and it was able to mount all the drives except the problem drive. It just said to run chkdsk in windows and reboot twice and then try again. Cleitus does the Hitachi disk checker work if I have Maxtor drives or should I try Maxtor's disk checking program or just use chkdsk? I would like to get the data off of the drive first before going to extreme measures to get drive useable again. i.e. want to get the stuff off before some recovery attempt over writes the data and it is really gone. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help.
Old 01-06-2007
Member - Class 1

Default Maxblast vs. DFT

The Hitachi DFT is a generic drive test and will not affect the possibility of recovering, or should I say backing-up data. The sector repair will not change the fact that part of the hard disk is bad and the data might be physically damaged. Now if the data has been deleted there are some concerns about whether you can use such programs as GetDataBack on corrupted sectors; I advise against it but that is just my first impression. MaxBlast has no sector repair that I know of and has no real applications that are of any use. The important thing to remember is before doing any kind of sector repair it is crucial to defragment the volume. Using a PE will work if you do not have a working OS. This pushes the data to the front of the drive where it safer and more resistant to corruption (especially fragile system files). Salvation is another drive utility that has sector remapping, and is highly recommended, though I have never used it.
Old 01-06-2007
Level 2 Member

Looked into Salvation, but it costs more than a couple new drives. The drive that is having problems is just for data (OS is on another physical drive). I probably have 80% of the drive backed up on random cd's, so I am trying to save some time and just get the data off the drive rather than looking through a pile of cd's. I think that the main issue is that the Master File Table got messed up. How I am not sure. Virus? Static electric shock? Drive failure? or maybe just my luck since I haven't backed up data in over a year. Will the Hitachi DFT rebuild a MFT?