Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 10-29-2007
neophyte

Mace1 is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot delete certain files

Hi,

There are two mp4 files on my Vista Business machine that I cannot do anything with. One is on my Desktop and the other is in my Downloads folder. I cannot rename, move, delete, or otherwise do anything to them. They register in Windows as having a size of 0 bytes. When I try to delete or move them, the dialog that comes up just sits there supposedly "calculating" remaining time. I have waiting upwards of an hour and its state has not changed. When I attempt to rename them, Explorer crashes entirely. I've tried to rename/delete them through the command prompt with similar results, the process just hangs there accomplishing nothing until I terminate it. This behavior seems to occur with any file using the mp4 extension on my machine, with the exception that I can rename ones that have a defined file size using the command prompt.

Old 10-31-2007
Member - Class 1

Cleitus is on a distinguished road
Default Unlocker

I assume that your vista box is not infected with any sort of malware. I would try a program like unlocker to remove the files. I am not sure if it is compatible with windows vista.
Old 10-31-2007
neophyte

AaronGA is on a distinguished road

Unlocker is Vista compatible.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/