Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Malware Forum

Old 09-17-2009
neophyte

georgiagirl is on a distinguished road
Default The Trojan that won't die!!

Hi, all - Yesterday I started getting a ton of IE pop-ups (even though I use Firefox, not IE) after mistakenly clicking a questionable link.

I immediately ran (or tried to run) Spybot Search & Destroy... it started a scan, but within less than a minute, the application just shut down. When I clicked to launch it again, I was given the error, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions yadda yadda yadda." (I was logged in as an administrator.)

I tried to run a scan with McAfee, but when I hit the "Scan" button, I got this error message:

Quote:
An Error Has Occurred

Scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover.

Here are the problem details:
- Error starting on demand scanner

When finished, you will return to the Home window.
I tried Lavasoft Adaware... same thing happened as with Spybot S&D and HijackThis.

I searched online and found recommendations for two excellent anti-spyware applications (one is a Windows program)... I downloaded and installed... same thing happened as before -- the scan started, but suddenly the application shut down, and I got the error message when I tried to run it again.

Windows seemed to be running okay, except that twice, it gave me this error before automatically closing everything and rebooting:
Quote:
DCOM server process launch terminated unexpectedly
Also, Google seems to be hijacked... when I click to a Google search result, it takes me to an ad page, not the search result. I have to copy/paste the URL in order to go to the right link.

I've also attempted ATF Cleaner (which seemed to do its thing), then a-squared free (which got to a 100% scan but then gave me the blue screen of death when I tried to quarantine/delete the Trojans -- twice). I've then tried to use ISeeYouXP but it doesn't seem to be working.

I've tried searching on all these errors and haven't found a solution to my specific problem. This one's tough since NO anti-spyware programs will scan for me!!

Any ideas at all? Thank you in advance for any ideas at all!!
Old 09-28-2009
neophyte

iMissXP is on a distinguished road

I got a trojan virus about a year ago that slips passed AVG. It did the same thing with popups (IE and Firefox) that you are describing. A friend recommended malwarebytes. I downloaded it (free) and ran it, and it found the virus right away. I highly recommend it . You can get the program here

Good luck!

update: I've been using malwarebytes for over two years now, and it rocks! I also use AVAST, and both are free! I work for a trade show booths website and I need my computer to stay virus-free for work, so I wouldn't trust anything else!

Last edited by iMissXP; 01-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.