Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 01-25-2008
neophyte

leamsi4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Advanced Tab is missing under Start Menu properties.

Hi I wanted to clear my recent items and I right clicked on the start button, then clicked on properties, then Customize, and I know I am supposed to have an Advanced Tab but I don't! Can someone help me get it back?
Also does someone know how to take a screen shot of just the active window and not the whole screen? I used to do it before But I can't now.
Please someone help me with the first problem that is the one bothering me!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (23.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-25-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

There is no advanced tab in the start menu properties.

To clear the recent items....
  1. Click the Start button [IMG]mshelp://windows/?id=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33[/IMG].
  2. Right-click Recent Items, and then click Clear Recent Items List.
Personally, I don't let the start menu keep a record of my recent items. This can be disabled by going to the Start Menu Tab and unchecking the store and display a list of recently opened files option. This will remove the recent items menu from the start menu.

To take a screenshot of the current window that you're viewing, and not the entire screen press Alt + PrintScreen.
Old 01-25-2008
neophyte

Default Can't do that either

Well the thing is I decided to do it the way I explained because when I right click on the Recent Items there is no "Clear Recent Items List" option.
So people told me to right click on the start button and go to properties, then Customize and then advance tab but when I click on customize I do not have the advanced tab, and I don't have the option to clear the items by right clicking on recent items.
Old 01-26-2008
Agent - Level 3

I suggest you try again with the below graphic for assistance.

And I can assure you that there is no 'advanced tab' in the start menu properties. At least not in my version.

Make sure you right click on Recent Items.

Old 01-26-2008
Agent - Level 1

davehc is on a distinguished road

When you right click the start orb, and then click properties, in the first windows , at the bottom, are two boxes. You can tick those (or untick if they are already active) to you wish. If they are ticked, then click customise, and you will see a small box under the larger window, where you can select how many you wish to display.

The "Advanced" item to which you are accustomed, is available in the "Classic" menu.
Old 01-26-2008
neophyte

Default Still no option to clear Recent Items

Hi,
I DID right click on the recent items but there is no Clear Recent Items list option, it just has the other options to Open, Explore Send, to etc. I think I might have deleted something because I was installing some programs using "Revo Uninstaller" and it deleted some items in the registry maybe that is why I am missing the option.
Old 01-26-2008
Agent - Level 3

You're logged in as administrator?

What did you uninstall that you think may have made registry changes?
Old 01-26-2008
neophyte

yeah I am the administrator and I uninstalled a bunch of programs but I was using a program called "revo uninstaller" this program deletes any files and registry items that are no longer needed by the program being uninstalled, but I guess it also deleted something that was needed by windows. I uninstalled at least 12 programs in this manner so I do not know which one messed it up.