PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

New to the forum and having problems? Read this. - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Community » Site Feedback

Old 10-02-2008
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation
Default New to the forum and having problems? Read this.

New Members!
If you are having trouble posting or receiving errors, it's because the forum is implementing new anti-spam techniques. If you receive an error while posting check the posting rules.

Posting Rules:
Read this thread for specifics on the rules of posting at Vista Help Forum.
Do not use flagged* keywords or url(s) in your first couple posts.

Please do not try to post your message again. If you continue to have problems please post a "simple/clean" message in this thread.

If you're a spammer, your ass is as good as banned.

Moderation:
We have an incredible team of moderators here at Vista Help Forum and own everything to them. They contribute their genius on a voluntary basis so always be polite, and gracious for their help. The forum is continuing to grow and pick up steam. We will be needing more moderators, so if you would like to become a moderator here this is how to go about it. Become a regular member, help users where you can, and impress a moderator. They will recommend your promotion when you are ready.

*flagged keywords: bad words, pr0n words, anything you would not send to your mother.
Old 10-05-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road
Default Flooded

We appear to be getting flooded with p**n spammers and drug sellers, I was womdering if anything can be done to weed these idiots out, before they are allowed even a first post?
Perhaps adding all new members to a moderators queue so their posts have to be reviewed before going live...........I don't mind volunteering as it is, seems a lot easier than having to even use the 'one touch clean and ban' (which I have to say is a good feature).

This is assuming there is such a control available.........anyway see what you think, I just don't think having these images and drug sales pitches is doing the site much good, even if dealt with fairly swiftly, don't forget the bots are able to pick all this stuff up, but not if they were never aired !
Old 10-06-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

I agree, onetouch clean and ban is good, but its not completely removing the thread. I have to go back after banning and completely delete the thread. If we don't, it leaves a dead thread on the forum pages.

I think that is a excellent idea. Even if these bots can read the confirmation code, their membership should be approved.

It's getting out of hand and SOMETHING needs to be done.
Old 10-06-2008
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

Something does have to be done. I am currently researching and implementing new anti-bot and anti-spam counter-measures. Thanks for volunteering to moderate new members cyclic and Trooper. I will look into this and let you know shortly.
Old 10-07-2008
Agent - Level 3

As if that wasn;t bad enough, one of our less bright individuals has reported me for posting pron links, now I know some users are a bit slow on the uptake but this one takes the biscuit. I wont be helping her in future if her response to answering a question is unwarranted maliciousness.
Old 10-10-2008
Agent - Level 3

Well this is just beyond a joke now. Let me know when this BS is over and i'll return.
Old 10-13-2008
Agent - Level 3

I have removed and banned over a dozen spammers in the last 2 days, surely there must be a setting that means any new registrants must have their first post moderated to prevent all this crap getting to the boards, anyone looking with a view to joining must think it's a waste of time.
Old 10-23-2008
Agent - Level 3

It seems like the spam is under a little better control. I am still planning on implementing a new captcha system to stop this new generation of bots from registering.

Also.
The forum has surpassed 4800 posts!
Old 10-30-2008
Agent - Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpearson View Post
It seems like the spam is under a little better control. I am still planning on implementing a new captcha system to stop this new generation of bots from registering.

Also.
The forum has surpassed 4800 posts!
Well I disagree. cyclic and I have been STILL been deleting unacceptable amounts of rubbish posts. What exactly have you done if anything?

I've been keeping an eye on the new registered members in recent times, and i'm sure that more than half of them are bots.

And yes, i'm not very pleased about how this forum is run, and i'm at the end of my patience.

I appreciate that you are probably very busy, but this once every two weeks administration just does not work.
Old 10-30-2008
Agent - Level 3

Hello Trooper, I appreciate your feedback. You are right about the spam it is relentless. I have implemented counter measures that moderate posts from new users that contain flagged keywords. This helped keep some of the spam from public view but it did not stop the new generation of bots from registering. However, I have just finished a custom registration mod (Automaton-Be-Gone). It is still very basic but I will refine it until the reg-bots are shut out.