PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Is Python good for a beginner? - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Web Design & Development » Programming

Old 03-16-2009
neophyte

Poker158149 is on a distinguished road
Default Is Python good for a beginner?

I want to start learning to program.

My main focus is going to be game design.

I have very little experience with programming, but if I try, I can learn quick enough.

I was told C++ was a main language for gaming, so I looked it up and tried to study it, but I found out it isn't very user-friendly or recommended for beginners.

So I looked into Python.

It says its a solid base for game design, and its user-friendly.

Is this true?

Would Python be a good language for me to look into?
Old 03-22-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately the most commonly used is C++ , it is always good to have Python, Java and php as an option, but your really going to need to get to grips with C++ to get any recognition from others in the industry.

Just an idea but whilst you're learning languages there are many good tools that even the most competant developers use, these do away with a lot of the coding required, Microsoft give away their Xbox dev. kit and tools for free it might be worth starting with those at the same time, you can see then which and how much depth of language(s) are needed for the top level of coding\designing...........it may be a lot less than you currently think.
Old 09-09-2009
Member - Class 3

awesomo is on a distinguished road

Python is a good language to start with in term of syntax and code structure. Gettting the code compiled is a bit tricky but should not be a major roadblock.
Old 01-04-2010
neophyte

tlpeS is on a distinguished road

Do you have any background programming experience? I personally enjoyed VB6 as I was learning how programming works and how values are used, strings etc. You should try and go for something simple and work your way up, there is no use jumping into C without knowing the basics because it is easy to just give up when you don't understand something.

I don't mean to be a killjoy or something, so if you personally think you are prepared to learn C, give it a try. However, on the subject of Python, yes and no. Yes because it's a good language that is a vital stepping stone in order to progress to harder ones, and no because I would personally choose PASCAL.