Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Installation Forum

Old 05-16-2007
neophyte

grizxc is on a distinguished road
Default gadget problem

as in I can't get the original gadgets to come up? I just have the little switch at the top of my window but when I toggle it nothing happens or when I click the sidebar button on my task bar it opens the dialog box but when I click open or bring gadgets up again nothing happens? It appears they are still in my files but I too green to figure out our to reinstall them (short of a system restore)

Old 05-17-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

When you say quote "It appears they are still in my files" do you mean that they are sitting in Program Files/Windows Siderbar/Gadgets?
If they are, indeed, located there, then perhaps you are pressing the wrong buttons. First, I have no message such as "bring gadgets up again ". I do not run the Sidebar automatically, so I have followed through, I think, your procedure.
Right clicking the taskbar offers me "Open" (My choice) and "bring gadgets to the front"
If I open, then of course, I now have the sidebar available. I emptied it for the purpose of this test. Now a right click on the sidebar offers me "Add gadgets".
If I select this, I am shown a beautiful panel with all my available gadgets on it.
A click and drag from the panel to the sidebar puts any I need in place.
Is this what you were looking for?
Old 05-17-2007
neophyte

Default still can't get gadgets

Thanks for the response uhaligani but I'm still at a loss as to bringing up my gadgets...when I click the windows sidebar icon a dialog box opens but when I right click (or left click for that matter) "open" the dialog box disappears (by the way they are called "dialog boxes aren't they?). When I click "bring gadgets to the front" a sort of dark shade appears on the right side of my screen and the little box with the + and < > appears but these also do not resond when I click them
When I clickthe "add gadgets" nothing happens, when I click "properties" the sidebar properties box opens but the "restore gadgets installed w/windows" is grayed out and cannot be selected. When I click "view running gadgets" an empty box appears (probably because I don't have any on my screen?). I have also tried the keyboard shortcut (logo key and spacebar) to no avail , it just gives me the + and < > which do not work. Did I somehow disable my gadgets with all of my "neophyte" clicking and keyboarding...I just got hooked up to net and most of what I know I read in books or learned in the library over the years.
Old 05-17-2007
Agent - Level 3

Try one more thing. Locate the window sidebar in the start/programs (its in accessories) Right click it and "run as administrator" This should not be the problem but then - things happen!
Old 05-17-2007
Agent - Level 2

tcash11 is on a distinguished road
Default Install a gadget

It sounds like your bar is there, but you dont have any gadgets on it and your gallery is empty for some reason...try going to the microsoft live gallery and downloading a gadget which will prompt you to install automatically and should add it to your sidebar automatically as well. If that works then we know your gallery is just empty, if not then it sounds like vista is bugged up somehow. Here is a link to a simple clock you can go to and download and install to see if it works.
Old 05-17-2007
neophyte

Thumbs up wow thanks!

hey tcash...that worked!
Old 05-17-2007
neophyte

Unhappy but wait...

hey I still can't bring up the original windows gadgets (athough I can now see them when I bring up the gadget window, in particular I wanted to add the CPU meter but I uninstalled it instead) and when I go to the properties box the restore original windows gadgets is still grayed out?
Old 05-18-2007
Agent - Level 3

From my first post - Did you examine this?
When you say quote "It appears they are still in my files" do you mean that they are sitting in Program Files/Windows Siderbar/Gadgets?
If that folder is indeed, empty, then you need to download all those gadgets, to that sub-directory, again.
If it is empty, except for the one you have just obtained, then go to the Microsoft live gallery again, using this link, and you can download any number from there:
http://vista.gallery.microsoft.com/vista/sidebar.aspx
Old 05-18-2007
neophyte

Default but cant install "original" gadgets from gallery

I did find a cpu meter I like but I still am at a lost as to why I cant restore or bring up orig. gadgets, you know when I go to the sidebar file location I cannot open the sidebar.exe file (the orig.application) the little green circle just flickers for a second and then...nothing (the same as when I try to open sidebar from the icon on the task bar). But my folder is not empty - they are there but for some reason I just cant access them? Also why do I have that gray area where my original gadgets used to appear right side of my window?

Last edited by grizxc; 05-18-2007 at 04:51 PM.