Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Installation Forum

Old 09-10-2007
neophyte

confused23 is on a distinguished road
Default Unique(?) dual boot problem Vista & Vista

Ok, I know this was probably a stupid thing to do, but....

I bought a computer with vista installed (premium) and since I wanted to see what vista ultimate was like, i installed it on a separate drive. The premium is 32-bit and ultimate is 64-bit. My question is: how do I get rid of the 64-bit without having to use system restore, or mess with the original?

I was also thinking about installing XP Pro as a dual boot, but i don't know if it will slow down my system too much (I don't have too much memeory).

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

Have you tried formatting the drive with the 64 bit? You will still be left with the boot option but the easiest way to get rid of that is to google for a little program called EasyBCD and delete the option (The program is very easy to use)
If you subsequently install XP, then XP will setup the old Boot.ini as you boot manager. This will not work with your Vista installation. There are ways around this but I suggest you do a little googling on the problem (small!!) before continuing. No point in repeating something which is widely published, so here is on such link:
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Best option is, if you have the original disks install XP first, on a secondary partition or HD, and then Vista. Vista will subsequently take care of the dual boot, automatically.
An XP installation will, in no way, slow down your system. When you are using either OS, the other will not be used at all. I have all three installed plus, for laughs, Linspire, in a triple boot. No boot problems whatsoever. I frequently recopy images , of reinstall, any of the three.

Last edited by uhaligani; 09-11-2007 at 01:28 AM.