Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Game Forum

Old 04-17-2007
neophyte

Sarm3n is on a distinguished road
Default Weird Graphical Problem in Games with Vista

Hi,
I've looked all over for an answer and haven't been able to find anything. Hoping you guys could help out.
I just upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate and I love it. Only problem is that new games don't work for some reason. The games that I actually want to play don' work. Such as FIFA07, UEFA Champions League 06-07, Company of Heroes. All my drivers are up to date and I have the newest DirectX.
The games open just fine and everything runs almost perfect (not compeltely though) until I start an actual game (soccer). Then it looks like this:

My specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Hard Drive: 480GB total on 2 drives
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS (512mb)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

I meet the requirements of every game. They ran perfectly fine with XP.

Side note:
On XP I only had 1GB of ram, I upgraded to 2 when I got Vista. I ran Vista on 1GB for a few days and the games were already like this so it has nothing to do with my new gig stick.
My idea so far is that may be my power supply is not enough to run the games on Vista. I have already ordered a new power supply of 550W which should arrive tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2007
neophyte

pukerat is on a distinguished road

usually graphics glitches like that are a result of your video card dying or it's overheating. I had very similar issues trying to play STALKER and Oblivion, i blew a bunch of dust out of my video card and now both games run perfectly. Of course this is all on XP tho

Couple of other things to try though:

1. remove all video and chipset drivers (use Driver Cleaner Pro clicky here ) and then reinstall them (this program will completely remove all driver files and registry entries for a specified hardware manufacturer)

2. Try an older version of the video drivers

3. the power supply shouldn't be an issue since you only changed the operating system and didn't add any power-hungry hardware. Although it is possible your power supply is on its way out as well, i've seen seemingly perfect power supplies do strange things to computers.

4. If your new power supply doesn't correct the issue, try reloading XP on to your computer, just to verify if it is indeed a software or hardware issue. If it's software you're probably SOL until nvidia can release some better drivers.

Last edited by pukerat; 04-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2007
neophyte

Sarm3n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukerat View Post
1. remove all video and chipset drivers (use Driver Cleaner Pro clicky here ) and then reinstall them (this program will completely remove all driver files and registry entries for a specified hardware manufacturer)

4. If your new power supply doesn't correct the issue, try reloading XP on to your computer, just to verify if it is indeed a software or hardware issue. If it's software you're probably SOL until nvidia can release some better drivers.
Thanks, I'll try #1 in a little bit.
I already have tried going back to XP and everything ran fine on there. That's why I switched back to Vista...thinking it would be fine this time. Apparently not.