Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Game Forum

Old 07-11-2007
neophyte

Kahles77 is on a distinguished road
Default copy a game from one vista machine to another

I have tried recently to copy a game from one vista machine to another. it's not what it sounds like, my wife and Both have World of Warcraft accounts, and her computer from time to time gets a corrupt world of warcraft file. we tried a system restore, and it would not fix the problem. I figured it would be simple to just copy and paste my Wow folder over to her machine, and then I would not need to do the full hour long install, along with the updates and everything. but when ever I would copy the folder over, there was an error when trying to play the game. I know with windows XP this was doable. since then I deleted the game, totally reinstalled it, and patched it. but just in case this happens again, I would like to know if microsoft has changed something with vista to prevent me from doing this? or am i not copying all the files over.

Old 07-12-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

Vista has several new paths to run programs. I don't think there is any way you could copy something over, directly, from XP. Have you tried the "Migrating Wizard" though? That might work, but I have no personal experience from using it.
Old 07-12-2007
neophyte

Kahles77 is on a distinguished road

i was not trying to copy from xp to vista, was trying to copy from vista machine to a vista machine. I would have thought that it would have worked similar to an xp to an xp machine, where you can copy the game folder over, and that is all you need to do. I know i had done this on xp to save time (when we both had XP systems), but i made the big mistake of getting vista for both of our systems when i upgraded them. I was curious if this was doable or not. and how dificult it is. i know that some games have multiple places in vista that it stores files. but did not think that World of Warcraft was one of those. I will have to check it out and see if i missed something when i was copying it over.