Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 12-08-2007
neophyte

CascadiaCascadia is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with Permissions

I'm logged into an administrative account and trying to access folder I pulled from another computer and am CONSTANTLY having permission problems (copying folder, viewing folder, opening files, deleting folders/files).

I've tried going to the root folder and going:
Right Click > Properties > Security > Edit > Give my user name "full access" but this doesn't seem to do anything and the checkboxes are greyed.

Only thing that seems to work is 1-by-1 doing this with every folder...at 20 seconds a folder and 800 folders, a TON of work.

Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

There are several ways to avoid this. Try turning off the UAC. - Type Msconfig in the run box, go to the "Tools" tab. Scroll down and "Disable the Uac".
You are not editing the security preferences correctly. But an easier way is to run the attached file. It will make a small addition to you registry.
If you then right click a file, you will find an entry to "take control", which will save you time.
If you read up, in the Microsoft pages, on Administrative persmissions, you will find that they have now split the Administartor into two leveles. You are in an Administartive account, but still with limited persmission.
If you want to gain a full Administrative account, which you were accustomed to in XP then do this
In the RUN box, type Control Userpasswords2
Go to Advanced, and then to advanced again. Select Users and then Administrator.
Untick the box which says "Account is disabled"
Back out of the windows. Log off and you will find you have a logon entry for the "Power" Administrator.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TakeOwnership.zip (622 Bytes, 6 views)

Last edited by uhaligani; 12-09-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-01-2008
neophyte

alexis is on a distinguished road
Default administrator account

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaligani View Post
There are several ways to avoid this. Try turning off the UAC. - Type Msconfig in the run box, go to the "Tools" tab. Scroll down and "Disable the Uac".
You are not editing the security preferences correctly. But an easier way is to run the attached file. It will make a small addition to you registry.
If you then right click a file, you will find an entry to "take control", which will save you time.
If you read up, in the Microsoft pages, on Administrative persmissions, you will find that they have now split the Administartor into two leveles. You are in an Administartive account, but still with limited persmission.
If you want to gain a full Administrative account, which you were accustomed to in XP then do this
In the RUN box, type Control Userpasswords2
Go to Advanced, and then to advanced again. Select Users and then Administrator.
Untick the box which says "Account is disabled"
Back out of the windows. Log off and you will find you have a logon entry for the "Power" Administrator.
hallo,

i am running windows vista ultimate version preinstalled on the other labtop i bought. so this came without an accompanying vista cd.

i was stupid enough to go into registry and change the value of restrictrun of the current user in order to disallow others working on that computer.

However it appears now that i have restrict myself because this account was an administrator account. Now windows vista start up normallu but i cannot open any program as it says: this operation has been cancelled due restriction in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

If i could only be able to change this value again from zero to 1 then i am sure everything will work fine again. Even regedit is restricte cannot be opened.

Also cannot do a new / reinstallation because i don't have the original cd as this os was preinstalled by the vendor and any help by them is not supported.

Hope some of you do have a clue for me how to solve this problem.
Looking forward to hear from you all.

Alexis.
Old 01-12-2008
Level 2 Member

josh65665 is on a distinguished road
Default need help

Hello I have made a batch file and saved it to My Documents but when I trie to edit it it says access denied. I am the administrator of the computer and still I cant edit this batch file any ideas?