Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Installation Forum

Old 12-26-2008
neophyte

Mittenman88 is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble installing Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit.

I recently purchased Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit, hoping to install it on my PC. Unfortunately, my computer is unable to read it.(Because my current OS is 32-bit) I was told the only way it could be install is by loading the boot DVD. I've booted my PC, pressed F11 and gotten into the boot device menu, once there I selected to boot from my CD/DVD Drive. It took me to a black screen with a blinking dash in the upper left corner. Then proceeded to boot Windows XP 32-bit. Microsoft support says my system can be upgrading from XP 32-bit to Vista 64-bit. So I have no clue what i'm doing wrong. I'm in desperate need of help!

Old 12-29-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

You need to enter the BIOS setup menus and change the first boot device to be the DVD\CD, but your current system being 32 bit does not prevent it from reading a 64 bit installation disk. When the PC boots to a DVD\CD there should be a screen prompt to say 'press any key to boot to CD' it wont just do it, even though it's set to boot to it first (it's so that during the installation the windows setup will need to reboot and on those occasions you don't press a key to make it boot to the disk or it will just restart the setup, leave it and it will boot to the hard drive), anyway if for some reason that message about pressing a key to boot to CD is not showing, when the cursor is blinking on the blank screen, press any key then, you will hear the disc spin up in the drive if the command has been accepted.

However all that is only required when you are installing from scratch, if you are upgrading you just let the PC boot as usual, then put the disk in the drive and let it autorun, if it does not browse to the disk and click the setup icon, then follow the instructions. As MS say you can upgrade which doesn't involve booting to the DVD.

Last edited by cyclic; 12-29-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling again