PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3
Issues after spyware/crash/voodoo - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 02-09-2010
neophyte

denge is on a distinguished road
Default Issues after spyware/crash/voodoo

Okay, so, I have no idea what the heck happened, so I'm gonna try to explain it as best I can.

From what I understand, I got some unwanted Spyware. I suddenly got a notification from a "AntiVirus Vista 2010" program about viruses and such on my computer. I didn't remember having installed anything like that before, and a quick Google check confirmed it was a bad thing to have. I tried running Windows Defender to get rid of it, but that just caused AntiVirus Vista to pop back up. Since I didn't really have a dedicated anti-Spyware program, I went back to Google to find one, and eventually got Spyware Doctor.

After installing SD, I ran it and it found 80-someodd issues. So, I told it to clean things up and had the "create restore point" option checked, just in case something should go catastrophically wrong and I delete my hard drive or some such thing. Well, something went catastrophically wrong and my computer crashed and had to reboot. So, it came back up eventually and everything seems to be more or less alive... except when I try to open Firefox. Or any .exe program, really. Instead of my homepage or the program interface popping up, I get a "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" dialog. Selecting the Firefox from the list of programs causes the browser to open, but then it tries to get me to open and save the .exe version of Firefox. Same thing for Internet Explorer. In order for me to run anything, I have to left-click the icon and select "start" from the dropdown menu.

Basically, from a more or less completely ignorant perspective, it seems like all of the icons have become dissociated from their respective programs. Even going through the start menu doesn't work. Some things, such as iTunes or Skype, give me an error reading "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action", and tells me to create one. Also, I'm missing all but two of my program icons from the little corner toolbar next to the clock, and only one of them works.

I tried to access a System Restore point, only to find that either all of them were deleted, or I never had any to begin with. I kinda think I screwed up on that one when I selected the "create restore point" option on Spyware Doc and accidentally deleted all of them. Which just plain sucks. I also tried uninstalling SD to see if that made a difference, but there's no noticeable impact.

On the bright side, I seem to have gotten rid of AntiVirus Vista.

Anyway, I would really love any advice y'all have on how to either:
1.) Undo what has been done
or
2.) Redo what has been undone

Thanks very much for your time, and thanks in advance for any suggestions, helpful or otherwise.

Denge

Last edited by denge; 02-09-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Better phrasing