PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Vista cannot find .exe file in recycle bin - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 09-03-2007
neophyte

getzerdone is on a distinguished road
Default Vista cannot find .exe file in recycle bin

I spent hours trying to get Vista to search like XP, for an .exe file that was in the recycle bin. (This with a new Compaq Vista Basic laptop.) I knew that the .exe file was in the bin, I just wanted Vista to duplicate the ease-of-use search capability that I had with XP.

I don't know if I'm there yet - seems like I got to jump through a lot of hoops for Vista to search EVERYWHERE, like XP does. For some reason, Vista search does NOT search the recycle bin. If I'm doing a little deleting or something, no big deal, I'll look there. But if I am changing a lot of files, and I have 100 in the recycle bin, I want Vista search to SHOW that it searched EVEN THERE (just as XP will do).

HOW do I get this functionality in Vista search? It does NOT search the recycle bin - I want it to search there. Even though search says it searches "Everywhere" - it really doesn't! [Note that this question is tough to research on my part, for everyone else's problem with the recycle bin is deleting it - not my problem at all!]
Thanks for any input,
getzerdone
Old 09-03-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

Perhaps not exactly what you need, but if you right click the recycle bin, it offers the option to search the bin.
However. If you select search (for files and folders) and then access the advanced search, then click, over on the left, indexed locations. At the bottom line it says choose search locations. From there you can choose the recycle bin.
Old 09-03-2007
neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaligani View Post
Perhaps not exactly what you need, but if you right click the recycle bin, it offers the option to search the bin.
However. If you select search (for files and folders) and then access the advanced search, then click, over on the left, indexed locations. At the bottom line it says choose search locations. From there you can choose the recycle bin.
I think I tried that option, "checking" the recycle bin box. I don't think it would allow me to "check" it. I forgot to mention that the computer has never been hooked up to the Net, so maybe there is a MS patch for this problem by now (if it is not user-related).
I will again try the "check the recycle bin" option, likely get back to you tomorrow on how it works. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2007
neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by getzerdone View Post
I think I tried that option, "checking" the recycle bin box. I don't think it would allow me to "check" it. I forgot to mention that the computer has never been hooked up to the Net, so maybe there is a MS patch for this problem by now (if it is not user-related).
I will again try the "check the recycle bin" option, likely get back to you tomorrow on how it works. Thanks!
For comparison, I conducted a XP vs. Vista "search test", starting on my XP Home "Internet" computer. I named a new folder "test.exe". I copied any .exe file I could find at first C-drive search, which was an Adobe ahv.exe file. I placed the Adobe file in the folder, and left the folder marked "test.exe" on the XP desktop.

Next, I went to Start, => Search, => All files and folders, => All or part of a file name (I typed in "test.exe" without the apostrophes), => Search. [Look in local hard drives C D]

XP search found the folder on the desktop in 1-second, and came up with 8-total possible matches, in about 15-seconds.

SAME test with Vista, identical folder and file setup:
TEST ONE
1) "test.exe" typed into the search box near the start button: folder was found in four seconds, on the desktop.
2) Clicking the folder revealed the ahv.exe file in the folder.
3) Thus, so far so good. But neither steps 1 and 2 above revealed the LOCATION of the folder or file. FINDING THE LOCATION IS A PRIMARY GOAL. (With XP, the location is shown in the very first search, as Desktop; or if in the recycle bin, RECYCLE BIN; [also, C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-etc., about 35 digits follow.])
4) By right-clicking on properties on either folder or file, location was shown in the Vista search. But like XP, I WANT location displayed in the WINDOW, under "In Folder". Especially if I have 150 files displayed in the search and I need the location of all of them!)

TEST TWO

WITH XP: I next placed the test.exe folder in the XP recycle bin. I repeated the steps above, exactly. XP search found the folder in 3-seconds, and continued to run about 30-seconds, coming up with 11-possible matches.

WITH VISTA: 1) Same folder and file placed in recycle bin - which is the only icon on my Vista laptop.
2) Search came up with 8-files in 4-seconds. All were text or log files, none were the folder that I was seeking titled "test.exe".
3) I clicked on "Advanced Search" This brought me to Advanced Search. No success when it looked in "indexed files."
4) I clicked out. I started the search totally new, this time "No items match your search!" was the message. And the new message for me to click on was "Search Everywhere." I clicked on it.
5) Eventual results: "No items match your search."
6) Same results when the search is with "Local Hard Drives." "No items match your search."
(I forgot to mention that I did a search before this test with ALL of the possible check-boxes that you can check. It ran for 20 or 30 minutes. "No items match your search" was the answer!)

So - I'm at my wit's end about how to duplicate the quickness and efficiency of my XP searching capability on my Vista computer. I've owned Windows since Win95, and I didn't like the way the XP search was set-up, compared to the 95/98 scheme, but I got used to it, and it definitely DOES WORK.
Old 09-05-2007
neophyte

Good news, I figured out how to find the location of the files or folders IF they are OUT of the recycle bin - but only on the desktop. The way to do this is, using the REAL search (START => SEARCH => "To begin, type in the search box") "do a search." Doesn't matter what you enter. Kill the search if it's made up, it will run too long.

Now, the Search Box Window is open. Only 5-items are default selected. "Folder" is not selected, for some strange reason. Right click on the title bar (it will have defaults of Name, Date Modified, Type, Authors, Tags). Scroll down to More... then checkmark "Folder", then "OK." Now, 6-items are selected. Whenever you run a search with the "real" search, the location (e.g., folder) is found.

Still, this whole process of finding file location has been inconsistent on tests I just finished. Type in FreeCell.exe, and freecell.exe. I get different displays of search results, with no locations listed in either search (if I use C or C D drive). Freecell.exe in Vista is in Microsoft Games, and of course is NOT on the desktop. And, even if I add Folder to the listing on the title bar, the file path does not show at the end of the search.

But, if I type in FreeCell.exe with the search location "Computer" I get good results, showing the file path and folder location.

With XP, "Name, In Folder, Size, Type, Date Modified" always gets the same results and show the file path (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\system32), whether I type in FreeCell.exe or freecell.exe.

Conclusion? Apparently, Vista search is running a little buggy. If anyone can help me with it, I'll be looking for your post.

Last edited by getzerdone; 09-05-2007 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2007
neophyte

Darkha7 is on a distinguished road
Default Vista won't search the trash by deliberate design

I have been doing some research into Vista over the last week and one issue that I came up with is that the Windows Desktop Search (WDS 3.x in Vista) will not search hidden/System folders and files.

This was by design by MS. I suspect that it was an attempt at security. If WDS indexed these files, then innocent users could find and delete them - and yes, users do that sort of thing.... Try Google desktop search. I haven't tried it on Vista, but it might search those folders by default.
Old 09-22-2007
neophyte

Thanks Darkha7 for the reseach. MS must be insane if, like you suggest, it has left Google the job of doing file searching on its proprietary operating system! It might be nice to think that MS is going "open source" but to let Google contribute is like letting the fox in the henhouse! (Google is not the Free Software Foundation.)

With tweaking, Vista can do it all, but to shut off functions by default so that "regular" users can't error, hurts power users who want more features. Hopefully, back to the drawing boards by MS so that default settings can be changed to power settings, hopefully without tweaking the registry.
Old 03-04-2013
neophyte

paulolobey is on a distinguished road
Default Path too long solution

hey did you used Long path tool? I had the same problem a few months ago and I was desperate, but this thing really saved me. Maybe you should try it and tell us if it worked.
Old 03-04-2013
neophyte

longpathtoolfree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulolobey View Post
hey did you used Long path tool? I had the same problem a few months ago and I was desperate, but this thing really saved me. Maybe you should try it and tell us if it worked.
Well I tried it and the Long Path Tool sucked. It also costs money. There are plenty of free tools you can use for path tool long errors in Vista. If you have a long path error, just do a search for free long path tools and steer clear of the "Long Path Tool". All they do is spam, spam, spam. Sad.