Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 03-25-2009
neophyte

saillias is on a distinguished road
Default I desperately need help getting my installs to work!

I was trying to install a security system, ESET Smart Security 4. Vista doesn't let me. (Look at 'esetwontwork')

I tried a number of things. I went through programdata and gave myself permission in that folder and in every subsequent folder leading up to where it would put the 'ESET' folder. (See 'programdata')

So, I turned off User account control. Rebooted again... VISTA UNINSTALLED MY MICROSOFT OFFICE. Seriously. (Look at 'worduninstalled')

I tried to reinstall, and what error message do I get? (Look at ProgramData2)

This is literally a Vista nightmare. I bought ESET Smart Securit 4 on March 15... Getting close to 2 weeks with no firewall.

That's not even half as bad as VISTA UNINSTALLING WORD. I have a 20 page paper due in 2 days. I'm half done. I NEED to be working on it right now. and I can't reinstall it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg esetwontwork.jpg (37.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg programdata.jpg (41.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg worduninstalled.jpg (49.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg programdata2.jpg (31.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-26-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Vista can't uninstall things without instructions so to do. It seems likely you have nefarious bits of malware lodged in system files probably.
It is typical of todays malware of various sorts to either disable your protection, or as in this case deny the installing of something which can get rid of it. Clearly not having a firewall is not helping the situation, but if you have nasties that can disable scanning software (and most can nowdays) your only option is going to be to destroy the partition (in case of rootkit), recreate and format a partition and reinstall the system.
If you need to present a paper in a short while, I feel your only option to get it done in time is to borrow a machine from a very understanding pal.

Times like this you wish you had always backed up the system and critical data, you could have been up and running in less than an hour. I'm not typing this to distress you more, rather in the hope that you will be able to prevent this happening again.
Old 03-26-2009
neophyte

Glenn is on a distinguished road

Run as Administrator?
Old 03-27-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

You mean you haven't been doing so ?