Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 11-09-2007
neophyte

gQgler is on a distinguished road
Default I Want My Vista Back!!

Okay guys, this might be a tough one.
A couple of months ago I bought a HP laptop with Vista. Enjoyed using it, but after hearing a lot about linux I desided to try it (and worse it went from here). I was told that you could chose to either boot with linux or vista so i worried not! Unfortunately I somehow chose the option of installing Linux without a dualboot function, which means that i no can not use vista anymore!!!!! It's gone When I recieved my laptop from the store, no vista CD came with it, so I cant even install it again! What do I do? Anyone who knows anything about this at all PLEASE write! It's not the files I had on my computer I'm worried about (because I got them all on an external harddisk), but I just want my vista back! I know how stupid this is, but please for the love of God, help a fool in need!

Thank you.
- gQgler
Old 11-09-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of ways, if you have not overwitten the Vista partition?
Easy way might be to reinstall Linux with the boot option. I know little about Linux so cannot help with that one. You could then get back into Vista and we could sort out the alternative boot system.
Old 11-09-2007
Agent - Level 2

tcash11 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Seconded

I think you are best to try uhaligani's suggestion and re-install your linux and go with the dual boot setup option. This is going to allow you to access your vista partition as a boot partion hopefully. BUT, since you didnt select that option in the first place the linux install may have overwrote critical vista boot files or even overwrote your entire vista partition if you didnt set it up correctly on the install to make new partitions with only the free space.
So if that doesnt work I would try going back to the store you bought it from and if its a big brand store they have a tech department that should be able to reinstall vista for you (you have a license, just not a disk). If the store wont do it or you no longer have access to the store you can call microsoft/HP and buy the "Media" (cds) for vista for a minimal s/h price.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2007
neophyte

magichandz is on a distinguished road
Default Check hard drive

Hp's come with a partition loaded with your recover info so that you can make a restore disc , see if it is still there and try to make your back up discs
Old 11-19-2007
neophyte

acdlfn is on a distinguished road

Ha! I want my w98 back.