Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 02-12-2008
neophyte

princem131 is on a distinguished road
Default VERY SLOW wifi

I just got a new HP Pavilion tx 1410us with Vista Home on it. and for some reason the wifi is ridiculusly slow... but only at my house and only on my hp. When I am on other networks there is no problem (on the hp) and when I use my old laptop at home (Dell Inspiron 5100 w/ belkin external wifi card) it runs smooth. My Hp runs at around 11mbps or if i am lucky 20-30mbps. Any ideas what this could be about? I realize it may not be Vistas fault but I cant see any other reason since my dell running XP is fine, especially considering that my Dell is a piece of crap and is about 5 years old.

The signal strength is good and everything seems to check out it just has a very slow speed. almost like using dial up. My phone is faster.
Old 02-12-2008
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

With wireless there could be alot of factors contributing to your problem ranging from interference to outdated or incorrect drivers. Does windows manage the wireless network connection or do you run a wifi config utility from a wireless adapter manufacturer? You should also ask this question at Wifi Help Forum.
Old 02-14-2008
neophyte

princem131 is on a distinguished road

sorry for the misplaced post.... but windows runs the wifi connection on both of my computers. the one that works properly is an external belkin card and my HP which is new and running slow is an internal wifi adapter. its really wierd because it only does it on my home network its fine when I'm using other wifi sources.