Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista A/V Forum

Old 11-15-2008
neophyte

Eric Chambers is on a distinguished road
Default Microphone Mute

Greetings all,

I did do a search for "Microphone Mute" and nothing returned.

I have a HP DV9000 laptop(2 months old). Installed is Vista home. 3 gigs of memory. Built in Webcam and microphone.

The problem that I am having is finding a way to mute the microphone so that when I speak, my voice does not come back through the speakers.

My sound is : Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, with Driver Version 4.36.7.60

I have seen several different screens that show the microphone under Sound-Microphone Properties-Levels. There is only microphone listed that is it. If I click the mute button there, then it mutes the Voice of the microphone.

I need to mute the microphone so that my audio does not get repeated back to me. On the other hand, my brother who is using a logitech webcam with a built in mic sounds find here. If he turns his speakers down, then I get no echo, but if he turns them back up to hear me then the echo is back.

Can anyone please help me with this? Please I do respect everyone here, so please dont come at me with anything dealing with XP. This is a vista issue and if you cannot help, please dont post. I thank you respectfully.

Forgot to say that we are using Windows Live Messenger and all settings have been set right. Also, just now we are using Yahoo Messenger chat and there is no feedback....so could it just be a problem with live messenger? I unmuted the mic and could hear my voice and so could he, I muted it back and then my voice still goes through the speakers. I also have a Soundblaster Audio Card....
Eric

Last edited by Eric Chambers; 11-15-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added more
Old 11-16-2008
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Just to be clear, I confess I'm not yet, exactly which sound device are you using and to which is the mic connected.
I was doing OK until you in the "I also have a Soundblaster Audio Card...."
this is on a lappy so it has to be a PCMCI card then, I gotta ask why? the only thing it can be doing is confusing the issue, I mean which if either software have you sync'ed with Wins volume CP ?

I am Confused
Old 11-22-2008
neophyte

Eric Chambers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
Just to be clear, I confess I'm not yet, exactly which sound device are you using and to which is the mic connected.
I was doing OK until you in the "I also have a Soundblaster Audio Card...."
this is on a lappy so it has to be a PCMCI card then, I gotta ask why? the only thing it can be doing is confusing the issue, I mean which if either software have you sync'ed with Wins volume CP ?

I am Confused

Sorry guess it did get a bit confusing....

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, with Driver Version 4.36.7.60. This is the sound on my Laptop. Both the Webcam and microphone use this driver. There are no other choices.

The Soundblaster Audio Card is in my desktop running XP. I'm not sure why I asked about it here, mostly my issue is with the laptop running vista.
The Webcam and microphone are built in. Yes I have tried to use an external microphone and no changes. The only time that I get 100% change is if my brother who is in Colorado turns his speakers all the way down. Then I get 0 feedback through my speakers, but he then cannot hear me

He is using the same logitech speaker system that I am, and he is using a logitech webcam with a built in microphone on the webcam. He also has indicated to me that he talks and uses his webcam with several other people and I am the only one that he has issues with...

Hope that clears it up

Eric