Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 01-28-2009
neophyte

Lucky137 is on a distinguished road
Default "Windows failed to find the well known host using DNS" ...help!

Just built my brand new computer... running 2.6 quadcore phenom, 8gb ram, x-fire 2x sapphire 4850s, etc, and had a copy of vista laying around and decided to use that rather than dish 150 for a 64-bit version of xp. bad idea.

anyway, everything was going fine, until i booted it up today and couldn't connect to the internet. i'm connected to the local network, but when i run diagnostics on the internet connection, i get "There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server (DNS) configuration. Windowss failed to find the well known host "www.microsoft.com" using DNS. The server my be down."

I tried resetting the winsock entries and tcp/ip stack multiple times to no avail. most other help i've seen says to unplug everything (modem, router, etc), wait a bit and plug it back in. problem is, i'm in a dorm room so have no access to the router/modem. the only thing i can unplug is my tower from the wall.

any other thoughts or suggestions? anything would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Lucky
Old 01-28-2009
neophyte

Lucky137 is on a distinguished road

booted up this morning, internet connection is fine. at least for now. but i still hate vista and my guess is that it'll happen again, so if anyone has any ideas about what i can try if it does, help is always appreciated.

thanks.

Lucky
Old 01-29-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't immediately suspect a problem with your setup, a DNS look up error is usually down to the service provider or the look up servers they use bu default, you set your DNS to use either 'discovered' or specific pairs of DNS servers, but that's over turned by the ISP settings and if the look ups they use happen to go into melt down, which is not uncommon, you will get the sort of error you encountered. In future before changing your settings I would investigate the ISP service outages first.