Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 01-17-2009
neophyte

anthonyjrc is on a distinguished road
Default Bootmgr and blue screen issue

Hi guys,
i'm having real trouble with my vista 32 system at the minute.

was working perfectly with xfx 650i ultra board, E6750 CPU, OCZ gold 800mhz 2gb, 466gb raid (jbod) and XFX 8600GT graphics card. thne it failed to turn on....fans turned on and thats it....
first thing i tried was a different cpu, worked fine although was using a different hard drive from my raid, it actually got into windows but then locked up, presumably due to hardware changes and a very slow processor.

i have since bought an E6600 (2.4Ghz, 4mb, 1066FSB) and each time i boot up i get the bootmgr is missing error, read up on this and apparently need to boot of my vista DVD, no problem, but imidiately after the initial white loading bar i get a blue screen ; 0x0000007F (0x0000000D....... i really dont know whats goign on here, even tried a brand new hard drive in there as it boots from DVD and still the same.....is my new CPU a dud?

any advice would be great

Cheers
Ant
Old 01-18-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Sorry to say the most likely cause of that stop error is a hardware failure, very often,
Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
Mismatched memory modules
A malfunctioning motherboard , so it would seem that something has gone west, I'm not sure I would be so keen to condem the CPU, even if as appears the most likely suspect.
Try the Vista DVD repair again but with only on stick of RAM in, regardless of it's size, if it is a memory problem as in mismatched, it can't be with itself !
Old 01-20-2009
neophyte

Thanks Cyclic, unfortunately i have tried with only 1 stick of ram and changed between them also, it just seems strange that i didnt have the issue before, but i have managed to dig up an old p4 processor that i know to be compatable so will give it a try. otherwise i was thinking i may have damadged the motherboard in some way??

Anthony
Old 01-20-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately that' s how these things happen, no warnings, one boot just fails one day and that's the first time you even suspect something is wrong.
How old is the hardware, I doubt that you would have caused the damage unless you've been prodding around with a screwdriver or something, I ask about the age because a common failing of main boards comes when the gel-filled capacitors (even just one if it's a critical power correction one for the CPU) bulge and leak, have a look over the board for them, there are usually quite a few and should look like perfect little cylinders, if even one of them has a domes top or is mis-shapen at the sides that could be what's done you in, if the board was still under warranty it is definately a free replacement issue.
Old 01-20-2009
neophyte

about 18 months which is annoying! out of warrenty but still feels like i only just spent the cash! oh well...got finnals for the next few weeks so wont have time to look at it yet but i'll do the swapping around then an hopefully get it back an running

cheers for your advice and help!

Anthony