Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 04-16-2009
neophyte

amziezelt is on a distinguished road
Default 0xc000000f

Hello, my laptop will not start up at all. I do not have the installation disk. I turn it on and it flashes blue, goes to the green bar, then brings up the HP logo, and takes me to a screen labelled "Windows Boot Manager." It also asks if I want to start windows normally but when I select that it just glitches and restarts and goes back to that screen.

This is the exact message:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

I downloaded the NeoSmart recovery disk from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

But when I start it up and go to repair, it says "select your operating system" and nothing shows up! I select browse and i have no idea where to click and I've tried selecting many things. It will not let me into C drive and it will not show anything in the system folder. Since I can't choose anything on this screen I try to skip it and it says "unknown drive." Because of this none of the options work.

Please, tell me what I should do. I am a college student and I really need my computer to work.
Old 04-16-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

Do you have access to another computer that has a disk burner? If so go here

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and get the live Ubuntu distro.

Boot up using that disk and then put in a flash drive when the system loads up. Take your files off the disk. Then try to do a fresh install.
From the sounds of it it may be that your hard drive is going.

If you got the PC from HP and you got no disk it means that you should have a back-up recovery partition (EISA) to reset back to factory settings. Press F10 at boot to get the recovery tools.
Old 04-17-2009
neophyte

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately when I loaded ubuntu my entire hard drive was erased... At least now I can use my computer. Thanks very much.
Old 04-17-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

Thanks, i am glad you go some resolution. However just for future reference Ubuntu comes with an option just to run from the disk, rather than install. Next time you will know better and be able to save your data, as well as get your computer up and running again. We should accept these setbacks as the cost of learning, and as any wise soul will tell you the lessons we learn most from are rarely (if ever) gained without some cost.

See you around I hope.
Old 04-17-2009
neophyte

Actually, I tried to boot it from the disk without installing, first. It tried then ended up restarting like it had been before. Unfortunately install was the only thing that worked.