PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Vista x64 can't load with Memory Remap on. - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009
Level 1 Member

knector is on a distinguished road
Default Vista x64 can't load with Memory Remap on.

Hi, I am having some trouble to turn on Memory Remap, when I did it my PC booted up to a screen where I could choose to start normal or start a startup repair, my wire free keyboard could not change it so i put in another.
When I started normal it began to load for a sec and then I got a flash of a BSoD, then it booted up to the same screen again, when I turned Memory Remap off again it would still not boot, not before I had made a system restore from the Startup Repair, and then it was fine again.
I want this to be on because I just got Vista Home Premium x64, and can see it only uses 3262MB of my 4GB in the Task Manager, when I had x32 I could change Memory Remap with out any problems.
My thoughts is that I changed to a HD4850 vcard while I changed the OS, so maybe it could be a bad driver or hardware/bios settings. I don't dare to play with the settings to much course I'm afraid it suddenly won't boot at all.

System specs.
Vista Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 6MB L2 FSB1333
AsRock 4Core1600Twins-P35 Intel P35 DDR2/3
Mushkin DDR2 PC2-800 2+2GB CL5
Club 3D Radeon PCI-E HD4850 512MB HDMI+Displayport
LC-Power Titan 560W 140mm SLI compatible V2.0
Zegamax Luna Midi Black 2 x 12 cm fan 1 x 23

CCC Version.
Driver Packaging Version 8.53-080820a-068908C-ATI
Catalyst® Version 08.9
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 7.01.01.821
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0612
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.7976
Catalyst® Control Center Version 2008.0820.2135.36847
Old 01-13-2009
Level 1 Member

Phanes is on a distinguished road

Knector,

You may have already checked these things but I thought I would toss them out there.

What voltage is your RAM rated for and is it running at that voltage in the BIOS? Can your MoBo handle that voltage?

Is your RAM in the right slots for your MoBo?

Does your memory pass Mem Test 86 or 86+?

A pretty good tool to help you is called CPU ID it will give you alot of information about your RAM.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2009
Level 1 Member

Thanks for your response. Yes everything is checked, except for Mem Test, but the strange thing is that the problem not was there with x32 and my old Nvidia card, but it can still be some settings for the Ram that messing things up.

Does MemTest work with x64?

Ain't CPUID the same as CPU-Z?

Last edited by knector; 01-13-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2009
Level 1 Member

Phanes is on a distinguished road

If you are running Mem Test 86 or 86+ from a boot CD they will run on a 64 bit because they are running at the machine level.

Hey if you have not heard of it check out ultimatebootcd.com it will give you a great bootable disk with a ton of diagnostics on it.

Yeah CPU ID and CPU-Z are the same thing.
Old 01-13-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Why would you use a memory mapper when you are no were near the PA limit with a 64Bit system ?

it only uses 3262MB of my 4GB ..............ok from the total amount of memory you have installed, some needs to be mapped for motherboard resources, hard and optical drive cache and the Big one the graphics memory, try remapping that and you have a falling over system !so 738Mb is already in use therefore 3262 is all that is left for the OS to use. If you had more than 4Gb and used a 64 bit system, lets say 6Gb just for arguments sake, you would still have 738 taken before Vista gets any but then being a 64 bit system you would have 5262 for Vista to play with.

I don't see where PAE comes into this since most 64 bit systems can map 8Gb without problem, most boards only support to 8Gb so you're never going to reach the actual limit that a 64 bit system can map without any third party utilities..

Forgive me for suggesting that you seem to have got hold of the wrong end of a quite complicated 'stick', forget mappers, just run the system.
Old 01-13-2009
Level 1 Member

Ok I'm getting the idea, but then I have some questions for you if that's alright.

Why is the Vcard taken from that memory when it have its own memory? And the Vcard I had before on x32 was on 1gb then I had 3gb in task manager, that's only 250mb in difference when it should be 500mb (That way it seems like my x32 could get more out of the Ram), is that because the memory it takes is the non-dedicated? if it's that it should have been way under 3gb in my x32 when both the dedicated and the non-dedicated memory was using from the x32 OS'es 4gb limit?

So memory Remapping is really for mapping memory over the mobo limts or what?

If I had a x32 OS with this Vcard I could use 500mb less than now, is that right?

Edit: And why could I change the Remap in my x32?

Edit: Do I get more out of my 4gb than with the x32 OS?

Edit2: Many people say if you want all your 4gb go for vista x64, so am I getting more out of x64 than the Vcards dedicated memory else would use of the Ram inside the x32 4gb's OS limit

Edit3: Another thing that I don't understand, is that if the hardware use of the Ram, then why can I use all the Ram on a system with 2gb as it will show in task manager?

This is really confusing.

Last edited by knector; 01-13-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2009
Agent - Level 3

If you have 2Gb of memory you can't get Vista to use all of it, nor can you remap the memory addy's allocated to mobo resources and graphics to anywhere else.
Understanding Address Spaces and the 4GB Limit Can I suggest you follow this link and have a read of those pages, they are from Mike Blas a highly qualified MSVP and Tech. who can explain these things far more succinctly than I can, given the available space. The title may be a bit misleading as the articles also cover 64bit systems and how PAE works and also why mostly it doesn't.
Old 01-14-2009
Level 1 Member

My old PC with 2gb says 2047mb in the task manager, that's only 1mb missing.

Why are there some with 4gb and vista x64 that can have it turned on without a failure.

Last edited by knector; 01-14-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2009
Agent - Level 3

Read the info from the link I posted for you, I cannot comment on 'hearsay or anecdotal' stories, only on what is or is not possible.
Closed Thread