PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

resolution changing due to external monitor - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 06-07-2014
neophyte

dterhune is on a distinguished road
Unhappy resolution changing due to external monitor

Hi, I have a Compaq cq60-211dx laptop with Vista Home Basic, connected to a Point LW909 external monitor. The external monitor is a 1440x900 resolution (which my laptop does not have), and claims to also work on 1280x768 resolution. The highest resolution on my laptop is 1366x768, which I am able to view (without distorting the image) on the external monitor by using the "Auto" button. If I set the laptop to a 1280x768 resolution, the image on the external monitor is distorted no matter what I do.

The problem is, windows from time to time automatically resets the laptop resolution to 1280x768, so that I have to manually switch back to 1366x768. I have seen posts about similar problems, the solution usually recommended being to update a driver. I have not found a driver online for this external monitor, and when I look at the drivers in the Device Manager, the drivers for the two monitors (laptop & external) appear to be the same.

The problem is very annoying, and any solution that would stop the laptop from automatically changing the resolution would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2014
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear about the monitor problem. It's not uncommon that drivers from certain manufacturers (especially if not mainstream) are not updated. However, that may not be the problem. You should try to deinstall the driver and then reinstall using a fresh copy of the driver to see if that works.

I'm also wondering whether it is set properly in the registry. I'm not sure exactly where it may be, but I'm guessing that it may be here. If you're not too scared to look into the registry using running regedit.exe you can try looking here:

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\VIDEO\{numbers-here}\{monitor-entry-here}

You'll see xresolution and yresolution. Changes there may affect the resolution you're seeing. I would certainly first try the above method.

I'm sure you've tried contacting Compaq, but here's the contact information just in case.

http://www.compaq.com/country/index.html

Contact Compaq or call 800-888-0220
Old 06-08-2014
neophyte

dterhune is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried uninstalling the monitor driver, and letting the computer reinstall it. I also downloaded the drivers from the Compaq website that look relevant. None of this has fixed the problem.

I looked in the registry, as you suggested. In the VIDEO folder there were 3 GUID's, with a total of 5 monitors. None of these have x-resolution of 1280, however (I see 1024, 1366, and 640). So I don't know what should be changed there to fix this.

Any further help would be great.