PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3
How much memory does Vista use on your system? - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Community » Watercooler

Old 04-09-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road
Default How much memory does Vista use on your system?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get a quick poll from you forum members about the amount of memory Vista uses on your system, without other applications running. Mine seem to fluctuate between 950MB to 1.5GB. This seems an awfully large figure. I have been using windows XP until recently upgrading my main computer. Xp would (with a little judicious pruning of un-needed services) run using 500-600MB. I wonder if the amount varies in relation to the amount of Ram the system has installed, i.e. if you have a large amount of Ram Vista will use as much as it can. My system specs below.

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/9/2009, 17:44:33
       Machine name: MEMER-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: Maximus Extreme
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/23/08 17:14:32 Ver: 08.00.12
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
             Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 1672MB used, 6746MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Last edited by luckypunq; 04-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

Vista will use up to about 1.5 Gig if you have the amount you do, but it's not high or a matter of concern, if you start a program or game that requires some of it, Vista will release it.
Mine will use fairly similar to your figures, currently at idle it seems to favour about 1.2 Gig that's with 54 services running, I have 4Gb RAM but with a 32bit system Vista gets about 3.5Gig to use after the graphics and other memories have been mapped.
Interestingly........maybe, Tomshardware have recently published bench results on amounts of RAM used and have found that with any amount of RAM onboard Vista will only use around 3GB, even if there's 12Gb available (X64 systems). So it seems those of us with 4Gb have probably hit the sweet spot depending on the amount of video memory your card carries.