PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Removing boot selection in XP - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows XP » XP Help Forum

Old 01-16-2007
neophyte

jallenclark is on a distinguished road
Default Removing boot selection in XP

So I didn't read the process to uninstall vista before doing it.

I just deleted the partition and merged it back with my xp partition.

I still get the boot selection at the startup of windows. I would like to remove this. The only answers I can find need me to still have vista installed.

Thanks for help.
Old 01-16-2007
Member - Class 1

Cleitus is on a distinguished road

Apparently you weren't very impressed with Vista? To remove the OS choices at boot time you have to edit the boot.ini file. Click on START, right click on MyComputer, click on properties(or type Windows key + R, then sysdm.cpl). In the System Properties Window click on the Advanced tab at the top, then click on Settings under Startup and Recovery. Click on Edit to edit the startup options manually.
it should open a notepad that looks similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

remove the Vista entry on your system and thats it.

Last edited by Cleitus; 01-16-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2007
Level 1 Member

Sandi is on a distinguished road

Removing the boot selection screen is easily done using the "Boot sector restoration tool" on the Vista install DVD. Assuming your Vista DVD is on drive E and XP is on drive C, open a command prompt and type:

E:boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 C:

If it doesn't work because access is denied (bootsect can't unmount it)

E:boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 C: /force

It isn't recommended to use the /force unless you have to. If your system was doing a write operation at the time it could cause an error on one of your files.

Now you can also restore the boot selection as would be necessary. For instqnce if you had to reinstall XP for any reason XP will overwrite the boot selection. Same tool with a different command.

E:boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk switching between BOOTMGR (/nt60) and NTLDR (/nt52).

A while back I did some experimenting becaue I was challenged to install XP after Vista and get it to work without reinstalling Vista again. Details here. It took a while and dozens of reboots, but I finally was able to do it with this process.

Hope it is helpful.
Old 02-07-2007
Member - Class 3

awesomo is on a distinguished road

I have always just put up with that damn boot menu. Great fix!
Old 09-13-2010
neophyte

oldrodnok is on a distinguished road

Great information.... Thank you....