PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Bill Gates Calls for a 'Kinder Capitalism' - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Community » Watercooler

Old 01-24-2008
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road
Default Bill Gates Calls for a 'Kinder Capitalism'

The title basicly says it all. Here is a quote from Mr. Gates himself.

Quote:
... Mr. Gates said that he has grown impatient with the shortcomings of capitalism. He said he has seen those failings first-hand on trips for Microsoft to places like the South African slum of Soweto, and discussed them with dozens of experts on disease and poverty. He has voraciously read about those failings in books that propose new approaches to narrowing the gap between rich and poor.
WSJ article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1201...=djemalertTECH

slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2...8/01/24/130221
Old 01-25-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

There are just so many things I could say about this, but I one word that really jumps into my mind is hypocrite.

I'm all for helping the needy and poor, however today's world is ruled by corporate greed. I know this, I see it first hand because I work for the largest bank in Australia.

From a big business point of view, helping the poor and needy is not cost effective. When a big company puts revenue into a project, depending on the size of the input, they will want a certain amount of return. If the return is not there, they just will not undertake such a challenge. The frustrating thing about that is we see big companies losing massive amounts of money all the time anyway. Failed products and failed deadlines. However, they did not foresee a loss, therefore they proceeded with the project.

I love how they're said "Mr. Gates isn't abandoning his belief in capitalism as the best economic system." Of course he isn't! If he was, the right thing to do hand over everything he gained from it. If Bill Gates chose to be work for Greenpeace or the Red Cross all those years ago, do you really think he'd be pro capitalism?

Don't go thinking I'm against the idea. I agree that this world is in a sorry state, in which the gap between the rich and poor is growing by the day. I also agree that if big business work to help the needy, it would be more beneficial than just laying a cash donation on the table at tax time. But I believe that getting business to adopt this principle will be near impossible.

This is the sad reality as I see it. The rich want to get richer and they couldn't care less about the needy. The world is grossly overpopulated and it just cannot continue to sustain the burden. And lastly, although it's hypocritical of him, he is right. Big business will have to save the needy, for it is them that hold all the dollars.

Lets not make big business look like the only guilty party here. Government also has to take it's share of blame. Just look at how much money has gone into war in the past 15 years. I'm not going to dwell on that particular subject, but it points out that money could be better spent.

Good luck to Bill and Melinda Gates, I wish them all the best and I hope they do make a difference. I can't help feel skeptical though. I suppose if anyone can do it, he just me able to.
Old 01-26-2008
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From a big business point of view, helping the poor and needy is not cost effective.
That is basically it. Currently there is no viable revenue stream take can be drawn from helping the poor. Some might argue that by helping (injecting money and goods) these people today will create a whole market of consumers years (decades) down the road. From the business perspective this would very likely be a risky investment.

What Mr. Gates should do is use his talent to create a viable and fair business model that helps the poor while covering operational costs. This model could help the poor without the need for government and public funding.

Quote:
This is the sad reality as I see it. The rich want to get richer and they couldn't care less about the needy. The world is grossly overpopulated and it just cannot continue to sustain the burden. And lastly, although it's hypocritical of him, he is right. Big business will have to save the needy, for it is them that hold all the dollars.
Right on the mark. The world is overpopulated, unfortunately for us nature has some tricks to deal with this type of problem.
Old 01-26-2008
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right on the mark. The world is overpopulated, unfortunately for us nature has some tricks to deal with this type of problem.
True. There is disease. But humans also have a built in mechanism to help control population. It's self destruction. We're masters at it now.
Old 01-27-2008
Agent - Level 1

davehc is on a distinguished road

"There are just so many things I could say about this, but I one word that really jumps into my mind is hypocrite."

A little harsh. As we know, many years ago, Bill brought a technology modern miracle to the world. Maybe he should not be praised for this, he was a total computer "nerd" and I honestly do not think his ultimate goal was to do anything for the world outside of his own imagination. However, it happened.
But on the subject of finance. Because of his announced retirement from Microsoft, his charity interests have become more noticeable to the public. But this is not new. Bill Gates has been occupied in charity work for some time, but is now taking a more active interest in how it is managed. I believe it is on record that he has, on percentage, give an unprecedented amount of his personal wealth to charity over the years. (he still has a good bit to live on, and why not!)

" The world is overpopulated, unfortunately for us nature has some tricks to deal with this type of problem."
"From a big business point of view, helping the poor and needy is not cost effective"

It is not cost effective from any point of view. All such efforts are curing the symptoms, not the disease. The disease, never ackowledged by governments, is the very simple fact that there are too many of us. That figure is a geometrically growing as we write. Yet I read in yesterdays paper that the scientists are claimng a "breakthrough" and have managed to create life in a laboratory!
I despair when I hear of the manhours, and enormous sums of money, which are being used in research, to discover new ways to reproduce, whilst thousands, already on the planet starve.

"..-helping the needy and poor, however today's world is ruled by corporate greed. I know this, I see it first hand because I work for the largest bank in Australia."

I was fortunate enough to be born in the western part of the world. We were poor but, with guidance, and personal endeavour, I was able to get where I wanted in my adult life. My career gave me the opportunity to live in several parts of the world, particularly in Africa, before and after the wave of independance. I, and colleagues, were appalled to see the amateur and wasteful way in which so-called aid was administered. In most cases, this had little to do with corporate backing, but was free aid from other sources.--
"But humans also have a built in mechanism to help control population. It's self destruction. We're masters at it now."--
"The world is overpopulated, unfortunately for us nature has some tricks to deal with this type of problem."--
Unfortunately, poverty and starvation is one of these "tricks". One could almost say it is counterproductive, in this context, to artificially help the world's impoverished to survive.