PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

HTML Books - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Web Design & Development » Website Design

Old 02-08-2008
neophyte

Chaky is on a distinguished road
Arrow HTML Books

I need a book.

More specifically to explain my situation:

The "guy who does the web site" in work is leaving us in the next week or two. He and his mate (who knows HTML!) set up the company's websites (three of them I think) ages ago, and have been maintaining them since. While he offers to help with the upkeep, it may be classed as a "clash of interests" by the company he's joining, so being the next "least technically challenged" in the office, I've been asked to step into his shoes.

I've never done any web design, just some fortran and one or two other programming languages that I don't remember, so probably won't help. I'm pretty quick to learn, and think I'm starting to make some sense of the code that has landed in front of me by reading through it and referring to various internet sites. Whilst this may seem backward, I find that having a real book in front of me for reference is infinitely better than having to switch tabs/windows to get help.

I'll definitely be referring to the stickies on this subject, but when it comes to RTFM I want to get TFM

What would anyone recommend to get as a reference/learning tool that might get me able to proficiently update the websites by april (when the pay reviews are due :smoke: )?

Last edited by cyclic; 10-23-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Removed links - shopping carts !
Old 02-24-2008
Member - Class 3

awesomo is on a distinguished road

Before you buy a book spend some time at w3schools.com and php.net if you want a dynamic website.
Old 07-10-2010
Level 1 Member

Piglet1 is on a distinguished road

Again I am putting up a very late response to a question- but again I say
that if people keep coming to this forum and dont get an answer then
what's the point. Therefore this post is for anyone who comes along here
still looking for an answer.
In regards to a good book that makes life simple, which was the question in the first place, anyone reading this should try "The Missing Manual" series
of books. They have a great index and glossary which will have you
changing what you need to in no time.
There is one called Creating Web Sites"The Missing Manual" and also one
titled CSS"The Missing Manual".
This could be a good help but there are many self help books out there
in regard to this subject- remember you have a computer- GOOGLE!!!
Cheers