PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

Favorite Anti Virus / Spyware - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows XP » Adware, Spyware, and Virus Removal

Old 02-06-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Anti Virus / Spyware

I want to purge Norton from our company computers. What is the best anti-spyware and anti-virus solutions. I want something that doesn't consume system resources like norton. I am looking for the pros and cons from the perspective of personal experience. Freeware is great but I am looking for something that will do the job.

Any thoughts on...

Avast
Ewido
SpySweeper
PestPatrol
Old 02-07-2007
Agent - Level 2

tcash11 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up My fav

I have to say that ive been running Avast! for over 3 years on my personal computer and recently convinced my VPs to do the same for their personal computers...and we are considering getting a business license for the office computers. Its great! Free, not intrusive, and not processor intensive at all (at least compared to norton, which we run on 15 computers in my office that I monitor). It has all the bells and whistles too; outlook, webmail, web, IM , and P2P scanners. Give it a whirl and Im guessing it will meet or exceed your expectations.
Old 02-07-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

I actually loaded Avast today and can say I like what I saw. You said is free, but from what I remember I was given a choice between entering a product key or run the "demo" version. Does the "demo" time out or does it continue to run forever. Should I run a spyware app. along with it or does it do it all? What about using it in conjunction with something like PestPatrol?
Old 02-08-2007
Agent - Level 2

Cool Register the Home Version for free

If you got the home version and register it within 60 days, you should be all good for free...the key you saw is just something you get with the free registration. For spyware I still stick with a monthly run of a combination of Spybot and AdAware SE Personal.
Old 02-13-2007
neophyte

pukerat is on a distinguished road

i started using nod32 last year, i would highly reccomend it for somebody running a slower computer since it takes up hardly any resources. It also updates 3-4 times a day (non-intrusive popup, like a windows message from the system tray).

I've had it save my butt a few times, caught some spyware from a seemingly harmless site.

i run this plus spybot and adaware
Old 02-15-2007
Agent - Level 2

Exclamation Avast Web Shield and Vista

Just a note...I noticed a ton of legit web pages that just werent working with vista...so I changed browsers but to no avail...after alot of frustration I finally found that Avast Web Shield needs to be lowered and all works fine again. Avast Web Shield running on an XP machine worked fine so Im not sure whats up with Avast and Vista.
Old 02-23-2007
neophyte

slimshidey is on a distinguished road

I have been using Trend Micro PCCillin Antivirus and Spysweeper by Webroot on my POS six year old computer and it has been running fine with very few resources being used. Last year, when my AV subscription expired, it gave me the choice of going to their '07 Internet Security, which was a little pain in the ass because you have to remove any currently installed Spyware, but once loaded and Spysweeper reloaded everything's working great! So try it or don't, it's just my opinion... later
Slim
Old 02-27-2007
Member - Class 1

Cleitus is on a distinguished road
Default Trend IS

Trend Internet Security is great if you have never used anything better. It has all the bells and whistles that make so many end users pull their hair out. The configuration of virus/spyware scan options, firewall and wireless network security, is impossible for the average user. I couldn't understand why it checks the internet connection every hour, why it asked me to permit installation twice or three times, why the logs sucked, and why it doesn't show you what it found during the scan. The dangerous web site filter doesn't tell you if it is still allowing content. Why doesn't it like spysweeper preinstalled and why does it not find the stuff regular TMAS(Trend Micro Anti-Spyware) finds, and does it check for rootkits? It may run better than Norton but it is still a hog of system resources. I recommend regular PC-cillin before the IS, unless you like clicking "Allow Program".